5.26.2011

Rant

Okay, I am pregnant & hormonal.
I know that.
But regardless of my state, I have to share this story with you.
The boys and I were shopping at Fred Meyer Tuesday afternoon and had just stopped in at the little "cafe" to have donuts when this woman starts yelling across the tables at me.
"Ma'am? Ma'am! Are they twins? Are they identical?" 
Seriously YELLING.
"Yes they are."
"How can you tell them apart?"  (I absolutely hate this question because I never know how to best answer it.)
"I just can. But my sister says his face is rounder," I said, pointing to Logan.
"Oh, yes. Yes, I can see that," she said, walking over to my cart.
"They are just adorable. What are your names? Can you give me high five?"
She started high fiving with Logan, but Jack was not interested. She was relentless in her pursuit of a high five from Jack.  Meanwhile, I lifted Logan out of the cart and into the big boy chair at our table so he could have his snack.  I turned back to the cart and she had her hands under Jack's armpits like she was going to pick him up.
"I got it," I said, as I awkwardly took him out of her hands and put him in his chair.  That's when she noticed my pregnancy. 
"Your hands are quite full, and it's about to get a lot crazier! Is it twins again? Is it a sister or a brother?"
"It's another boy. Just one this time," I told her.
"I am the only girl with three brothers," she replied.
As the boys dug in to their donuts with humongous smiles on their faces she commented about how lovely it was to be a child, and that we should all live our lives backward, starting old and getting younger so we could really enjoy being small children.  I just wanted her to leave me alone so I could enjoy my children.  And again she mentioned how now (after 35 seconds spent with them) she could tell them apart quite easily, too.
She finally started packing up her things to leave, but before she left us alone she asked, "And what does Daddy do?"
"He's a teacher," I replied.
"Oh," she said disapprovingly. Only then did I finally give her eye contact.  And she tried to recover with, "Well, he must be teaching tomorrow's leaders."
Seriously.
I could have punched her.
Ugh. 
Some people!

Most of the time I am quite tolerant of people's questions and responses to the twins.  I answer them kindly, trying to inform the masses and correct old, erroneous thinking.  But every once in a while I run into someone who just gets under my skin the way this woman did.  She so startled me in her abrupt manner, shouting across the cafe, and when she followed that up with trying to actually hold one of my children, I simply could not hide my irritation!

2 comments:

Rox said...

WHAT?!! Was she... all there?
You need to perfect a bitch face so weirdos stop talking to you! Blake has a great bitch face, I'll have him work with you (I think HE is the reason no stranger ever commented or tried to touch my pregnant belly.)
It must be a twin thing, because strangers just do not talk to me the way they seem to gravitate to you guys!! I mean I get lots of nice "He's beautiful, how old" regular comments but the stories you have are INSANE!

Laura said...

My immediate response would be to punch this woman in the face. First, she gets into your business, and then insults your husband?!!? What tact. How classy.