8.30.2021

Around Here: Week 32 2021

{August 1-7th}




























Running... Logan to the hospital Sunday morning (which felt weird) for his scheduled MRI.  He has been having migraines that make him vomit and we want to make sure there's not a physical cause.  He has chiari malformation (where some of your brain stem extends down into your neck) and sometimes that can cause headaches.  Luckily his is mild, so it's not likely that. I tend to think it's hormonal migraines like my mom and me.  My little brother also had severe migraines in middle school and they would make him nauseous as well.  After he threw up he always felt better.  So we're assuming they are migraines, but with his unique history, I want to cover all my bases.  

Hitting... Burger King with the fam on our way to Wenatchee to shop at Costco and see my sister's new baby.  It was nice to go out just the six of us. 

Going... to Costco with Josh and the kids.  We had a good time, and I enjoyed (as I always do) walking behind Josh and our boys.  The looks people give them always crack me up.  They all look just like him.  It's breathtaking. 

Buying... the flowers at Costco because I always buy the flowers.  They make me so happy and they're so cheap there.  

Meeting... my sister's new baby.  BabyBrother is the sweetest, squishiest, cutest little babe I've ever seen.  He reminds me so much of baby Wyatt. I still can't believe she basically  has twins.  She's a saint. 

Sending... Josh back to work in his classroom Monday.  He took the twins with him and I laid low.  I wasn't feeling well.  I woke up from a nap in the afternoon though and we got to swim as a family since the smoke had cleared some.  We had a great time in the pool. 

Hosting... Grandma's Camp here at our house for Carol since the smoke has been too bad for Wyatt to hold it out at her land.  The cousins all seemed to have a great time, although I was gone for a sleep doctor appointment one day and the next day I had my writing class.  

Discovering... a water leak in our attic thanks to our (super tall) nephew.  He walked in from the backyard and saw a water bubble under the paint in our dining room ceiling.  We dug in a little and discovered that our furnace (which is in the attic) leaked down, through the wall between Carly's room and the hallway upstairs and ended up coming out just above the dining room downstairs.  What a nightmare.  We had to file an insurance claim and ServPro came to start the drying out process. 
$300 later we also had an AC guy out to take a look and he cleared the back-up that was causing the leak and told Josh what he would recommend going forward. Insurance will cover the water damage, but none of the work the AC unit/furnace needs.  That's all on us. 

Grateful... every week for my Mine To Tell membership.  On Tuesdays we get together to write and oh how I look forward to that time each week!  If you're interested, check out @thisisminetotell 
We'd love to have you!

Anxious... about Logan (and his migraines); the other kids and what back-to-school will look like; the smoke (so many wildfires that have Wyatt stuck in our house); and what my future as a stay-at-home mom will look like.  I do not feel ready to enter the workforce. I think our kids still need me home and I am in my happy place here.  But with Carly heading off to school, my days will surely look different than they have in the past. 

Contemplating... my value as a stay-at-home parent.  With the kids all off to school in a few weeks, I have wondered, "What do I even do here?"
Then they'll have a sick night, or a needy day and I remember that I'm right where I belong.  I am the glue that holds this family together, and that's important. It's amazing how quickly I can forget my worth as their mother and Josh's wife.  

Blogging... a lot this week, attempting to get caught up on the blog before the summer comes to a close.  I blogged about how the first month of summer was exactly what I needed after a year and a half of distance learning, and about Week 22 & Week 23.  

Learning... more about my church trauma (particularly from being raised in the Purity culture) and I have decided the message that I (and my many friends) needed to hear was "Your body is yours." So that is the message I will be sharing with my kids.  You get to say yes or no.  You have the right to get to know your body and do not need to be scared of it.  Your body is yours.  No one else's. 

Enjoying... summer time which means lots of podcasts and naps.  My favorite right now We Can Do Hard Things with Glennon Doyle & her sister Amanda.  It's so on point for current events, women's issues and motherhood. So, so good. 

Painting... Carly's fingernails black (at her insistence) and loving them. How cute is she?!? She's just so fun!

Playing... Play Doh with all the kids.  Screens have been the main activity as of late (especially with the smoke!) and I wanted to change things up.  So we played this little kid classic.  Wyatt made a pizza (so cute!) and Carly made donuts. 

Spending... time with Josh's sister and brother-in-law and their kids.  They came to swim and had a great time.  The little girls played "chicken" on their big siblings' shoulders and it was so gosh darn cute. 

Sharing... our garage cubbies with a friend who needs a similar solution. Josh and his brother Samuel built those for me, and they make keeping school backpacks, coats and shoes organized so much easier!!

Loving... this quote about time from Kelle at Enjoying The Small Things:
"The current is never going to stop flowing.  
You can cling to a rock to avoid it, but it's not going to stop moving. 
You'll die fighting the current. 
Your best chance of surviving is to let go and ride the current...
Swim with it, feel the water, let yourself have fun."

Gah. Love it. So hard, but so good. 

Putting... Carly in Wyatt's room for bedtime because her room was so pulled apart from the furnace leak and so loud from the ServPro fans that I knew she would sleep better in his (clean, quiet) room.  

Arranging... flowers from my yard in vases all over my house.  It's ridiculous how much joy flowers bring me, and when they are from our own yard it's even more joyful!

***


Inspired by this poem on Sea Glass:

I want to age like sea glass.
Smoothed by tides,
but not broken.
I want my hard edges to soften.
I want to ride the waves
and go with the flow.
I want to catch a wave
and let it carry me
to where I belong.
I want to be picked up
and held gently by
those who delight in my
well earned patina and 
appreciate the changes I went
through to achieve that beauty.
I want to enjoy the journey
and always remember that if
you give the ocean something
breakable it will turn it into
something beautiful.
I want to age like sea glass.

-Bernadette Noll




***

No comments: