1.12.2022

Word of the Year :: Be Present:: 2022

I feel like the last two years have been hard enough on all of us, and I want this year to be gentle with myself. So my only goal or resolution for the new year is "Be present." I feel like this will help me be a better mother, wife and friend, and will also be good for my ongoing therapy in landing in my body and listening to what I need. 

Years ago (I think Wyatt was a baby) I remember doing the Gretchen Rubin challenge for a year of intentional living while reading The Happiness Project, and in July I did "Be Present" and it has stuck with me all these years later as one of the best months of my life. 

I specifically remember going to Cougar to swim with my sister's family and my sister-in-law's family and just being so in the moment. I remember the color of the grass, the feel of the sun on my skin. I remember catching salamanders with the twins and changing Wyatt's diaper on my giant blue striped beach towel. That experiment of purposely just being where I was, was life changing. 

So my hope is that because of this goal or intention, I will remember vividly so many more moments of 2022 than I would otherwise. Especially with how fast time seems to be going now that my kids are older. I want to live in and cherish these days, not let them slip through my hands like grains of sand.  

In an effort to be more present, I've also taken a social media break. I haven't set an amount of time, but I am enjoying the break thus far.  It has helped me be undistracted during bedtime with Carly in particular, which she loves.  So there you have it, my super simple plan to make 2022 a great year. 

What about you? Do you have any goals, intentions or resolutions for the new year?

1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

oh, I love the description of what you still remember all these years later swimming that day. What a wonderful, vivid memory! Great choice of word!

In other news - I am also really enjoying my social media break! Like a weight lifted off my brain!