6.16.2022

Around Here: Week 16 2022

 {April 17-23rd}

























My little brother Dallas and my dad at Dallas' tattoo shop









Frosting... the carrot cake (and cupcakes!) I made yesterday for our Easter party at Josh's cousin Nathan & Dunnette's house.  Meanwhile, Josh made The Pioneer Woman rice krispie treat recipe I found.  It was so cute- it had an m&m in the middle and then you shaped the rice krispie treat inside of an easter egg.  He topped them with sprinkles, and they were so adorable! And tasty!

Enjoying... our get together with Nathan, Dunnette and their little boys.  The kids had so much fun together, and so did the adults.  Haha!  Just talking and laughing and eating all the good food.  Dunnette is the BEST cook and made the most amazing tacos and salsa. Holy yum!  We were all very spoiled.  They even had easter goodie baskets for the kids, and hollow eggs filled with confetti that the kids broke over each others' heads. So fun!!

Subbing... two days in a row this week, and being flipped off for the first time. Ha! Truly, though, I love subbing. I also did a half day this week, and even on the days that are a challenge I am enjoying myself.  The hardest part is getting out of the house, and figuring out how to also get laundry done.  Hah! Working moms, you're my heroes. 

Cancelling... my sub job on Thursday to take Jack to the ER because of severe stomach pain he was suffering.  We worried it was his appendix, but all the tests came back negative.  They gave him some pain meds and sent us home, and I was grateful for not having to put him through surgery.  I also canceled on Friday because the twins were sick and so was I.  I took a much needed nap and took care of those growing boys who still need their mama when they don't feel well. 

Taking... the twins to their first game while Josh took Wyatt (and Carly) to his.  It POURED down rain and was so windy that my umbrella turned inside out twice.  Logan was up to bat during the windy downpour that turned my umbrella inside out, and how he managed to stay up there and try to hit is beyond me. 
During that game they got so dirty that I had to use tide and hot water with a toothbrush to scrub the mud out of their uniforms.  What a mess! Plus, the boys felt the umpire wasn't calling the game fairly, so by the time we got home, they were wet, cold, miserable and upset about how the game turned out. Poor Jack had it the hardest.  It was decided then and there that if we have to divide and conquer (take kids to different games on the same night) that Josh would accompany the twins and I would accompany Wyatt. 
Due to bad weather, practice for the rest of this week was canceled. 

Struggling... with Wyatt's asthma following a cold he had. It's like the kids are taking turns being sick this week.  Thankfully we avoided the doctors office and the ER, managing his symptoms with steroids via his inhaler. 

Smiling... as I found the cherry blossoms Logan had picked on his way home in a "vase" (empty water bottle) by the sink. I love that he finds beauty in the world. And that he thought to bring some home. 
I also smiled when Logan texted me to check on Jack while we were at the ER.  They give each other a hard time, argue and fight like mad sometimes, but when it comes down to it, they're so glad they have each other, and they really care for each other. I love when I can see it so clearly. 

Counting... all the books in our house after Carly asked if I thought we had 900 books.  I counted the books in each of the bathrooms, all the bedrooms, and downstairs and came up short.  Then I was telling Logan about it and he goes, "You probably have that many in the shed alone." And I was like, "In the shed? There's no books in the shed." And he reminded me that we have all our holiday books (Valentine's Day, Halloween and Christmas) in a tote in there.  With those books we hit 900 books!!! I was so (nerdily) thrilled!!!
I shared on my stories on IG and FB that I was counting and my sister was texting me her "book math" as I went through my house, shelf to shelf, snapping pics of our books.  One that I shared in this post is my collection of Anita Shreve books.  She's my favorite author, and I love so many of her books.  Sea Glass and Body Surfing are probably my favs. 

Receiving... Piper's DNA results, which was so fun! She is 50% German Shepherd, 21% American Staffordshire Terrier, 14% Siberian Husky, 12% Alaskan Malamute, 2% Beagle, and 1% Great Dane.  I am so curious how big she is going to get, and what she's going to look like once she's grown. 

Attending... book club and discussing with my girls the friendship break-up I had last year.  They were so kind, listening and asking questions.  They said they were proud of me, and honestly, it made me cry.  It was such a hard decision, and one I didn't take lightly, but it was also the right thing for me. To hear my friends say they not only understood, but thought I was brave, was really heartening. 

Grateful... for Wyatt and Carly getting to enjoy the "Day of Awesomeness" at their school.  They rented bouncy houses and had so many fun games and activities.  My friend Christi sent me pics and videos of Carly as she ran into her in the field. It made my day!
Also grateful for Josh who made me pizza for date night Friday. The sweetest!!!

Sleeping in... on Saturday and waking up with a terrible migraine. That's just the worst. If I change my sleep habits at all (not enough sleep or "too much" sleep) I get a migraine. I hate it! 

Picking... Logan up from the skate park after my migraine had subsided (praise the Lord for Sumatriptan!) only to find him suffering an ocular migraine.  His vision in one eye was nearly gone and he came home and promptly threw up.  He laid down for a nap in my bed, thinking the vomiting was done, only to wake up vomiting again in my bed.  I was glad he didn't throw up on the carpet, but it meant I had to wash all my sheets, including my giant comforter. After that throwing up episode, he finally was able to sleep and when he woke up he felt so much better. 

Working... to catch up the blog.  I have been behind nearly all year! 

Loving... this quote by Ashley LeMieux:

"Acceptance is relearning to live our lives around the hard thing, 
and we allow new things to come into our life, 
we honor the hard, 
and we accept it as a reality 
that we cannot change."

 
***





***


1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

omigosh! I love that you guys did cascarones for Easter! I teach about that in my Spanish classes around Easter time every year! I have always wanted to add them to our tradition at home with the kids - but one more thing to add to the holiday list feels overwhelming at this point (hah!)

So sorry for sick kiddos - it is so draining physically and emotionally. Sending you healing and healthy vibes (even if this is past tense, the vibes are for continued health!! :)