1.04.2023

Around Here: Week 50 2022

 {December 11-17th}





















































Enduring... dog hair everywhere downstairs.  It makes me so grateful our dogs aren't allowed upstairs. Grady is shedding like crazy and it's out of control!

Grateful... for the shelf Josh built me in the laundry room to store some of our kitchen gadgets.  Our kitchen bar holds a lot, and honestly, it could probably hold everything I have, but it's so much nicer to grab the things we need to use from an organized shelf and a slightly less crowded bar.  Thanks babe!

Drying... clothes literally everywhere in our house as our dryer is still broken.  Last week Amazon said they had delivered our new bearings for Josh to fix the dryer, but we never saw them.  So we continued washing and hang drying until they came.  
Josh managed to get the dryer functioning again the same day the bearings showed up, and I have never been so happy to do laundry! Haha!

Setting... my annual Elf on the Shelf night time alarm.  He was up to some fun shenanigans this week, but my favorite are always the nights Josh or the twins help out because they think of things I wouldn't think of. 

Loving... how Carly plays solitaire or word find on my phone. What a little smarty pants. 

Researching... common core standards, standardized testing and play-based kindergarten for my first big research paper.  It was overwhelming since I haven't written a research paper in 17 years. Haha! I was a little rusty.  
It ended up being a 7 page paper all in, and I was so happy (and proud!) when it was done and submitted. 

Signing... up for AAA which made me feel like a real, legitimate grown up.  Four kids, home ownership and marriage didn't do it, but signing up for that Triple A sure did.  

Thinking... a lot about my masters, still feeling a bit surprised that I signed up for it and started so quickly.  When I think of the future I get easily overwhelmed (how will I juggle teaching with parenting?!) but I also know that I want to have something that I am passionate about to pour myself into as my kids get older so that I am not heartbroken when they all grow up and leave.  

Trying... out cocoa floats.  Have you heard of these? It's hot cocoa, with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream in it! Carly, Wyatt and I were big fans!
I also tried a new creamer. Josh bought it for me.  It was the Coffee Mate Chocolate Chip Cookie kind.  So yum! 

Indulging... Carly in a trip to the gas station when I was filling up the van.  She chose jelly beans and bugles to share with her brothers.  Cutie.

Subbing... Wednesday and Friday this week, in kindergarten and second grade.  Super fun classes both days.  One day I had a kid who won a prize and then took it apart (the puzzle ball you see above) and I was able to put it back together for him! I was so proud of myself! 

Driving... through the fog and snow on the way to school and home again.  I also got to see lots of hoarfrost, which I'm sure you know by now is my favorite. It's so beautiful.  It almost looks like everything is covered with glitter. {swoon}
On Thursday there had been crazy snow falling all day, and one of the first grade teachers scraped my car for me since I didn't have my ice scraper.  It was such a great act of kindness! 

Grateful... for Wyatt's help making my sandwhich for me for work on Wednesday this week.  He put that along with some chips and baby oranges in my lunch and when I pulled the sandwich out, I had to laugh.  He had put my sandwich in a gigantic freezer bag.  Haha! I guess we were out of sandwich bags, but I didn't know. 

Doing... homework between sub jobs and basically either reading, researching or writing in every spare moment. 

Enjoying... the Godiva chocolates my husband was gifted.  He always gives me all his best teacher gifts from the holidays and the end of the year. I am so spoiled.  

Reading... Silas Marner for December book club.  It was a really (really) slow start, but around page 130, things got interesting and then I was invested.  

Opening... lots of Christmas cards (one of my favorite parts of the holidays) and cursing myself that I NEVER remember that my friend Becky always puts confetti inside her envelopes.  We have been friends since before I had kids, and I still never remember that she does this.  Haha! Curse you, Becky!!

Happy... for Josh that he got to enjoy a day in Seattle attending a Seahawks football game, courtesy of my sister's family.  I think he had a great time, and I was happy he got to have a moment away from being a dad or teacher or husband and just be Josh.

Pinching... myself when Carly casually asked for a journal on the drive home from school one day this week.  I asked her what she wanted to write in her journal about and she said, "I don't know.  My feelings?" It was so cute. 
So when we got home I took her upstairs to choose a journal from my collection of blank journals.  (When I told her in the car that she could choose one of mine, she didn't realize I had blank ones, and she said, "Oh, I kind of hoped that I could have one without writing already in it." hehe. Cute girl.) 
Her wanting a journal is kind of a dream come true for this mama because when I was her age, I started journaling. (My first one is from when I was 7 years old.) I am nearly finished with #108 right now.  
After she chose her journal, we spent some time journaling together in my room.  It was a moment I will always remember. 

Dreaming... that I was watching a bear (from a beautiful pink, velvet couch, as one does) in the forest, and that when it turned toward me, the gun I had would only click. Click. Click.  It wouldn't fire.  
Soon the bear was upon me, and sniffing my cheek.  Then it licked my face and sniffed some more.  I didn't want it to attack me, so I stood on the couch and screamed at the top of my lungs at it.  But it simply stood on its hind legs and roared back at me.  
Then the dream ended.  It was so startling and so realistic!!

Upset... that Jack got a referral for a somewhat ridiculous reason. I was definitely more upset with Jack, who should know better, but also felt frustrated that not all teachers choose their battles more effectively.  Jack lost his phone for 48 hours and was threatened that if he got a second referral, all hell would break loose.  

Watching... the Stork movie with Carly and making peanut butter cookies with chocolate kisses, and pizza for movie night.


***






It's like a different language our boys speak,
I'm telling you.

My Aunt Barb understands completely.




*

"Your hands will always be
too small to catch 
all the pain
you want to heal."
-Sarah Kay






No comments: