6.23.2024

Around Here: Week 20 2024

 {May 12th-18th}





"I wish I could have you forever"... I can't even. She's too sweet for words. 


#1 She's talking about when she split her head open on the ax


I love that she's on a stool to be as tall as me.




Wyatt's art is so good!!! That honeycomb!

Teacher Carly
So too cute for words.



Carly keeping a "bad guy" from stealing her with corn cob holders. Bahaha!

Said corn cob holders.













Enjoying... being celebrated for Mother's Day. I felt so very loved.  Knowing that Carly is my last elementary baby, I am cherishing every handmade item... Time is just a thief and I can't believe that the boys are done making me collages or handmade cards with their classmates. 

Thankful... that Carly's eye looks amazing. (see this blog post to read about her accident) It's healing absolutely beautifully.

Subbing... this week on Monday & Tuesday for one of our kinder teachers that I hadn't subbed for yet this year, and oh-my-goodness, her class was challenging. I gave her mad props when she got back. She's amazing. Honestly, being in there was giving me BD (behavior disorder) flashbacks from the early 2000's when I worked in the SLC at Lincoln Elementary School. 
Also subbing... in third grade for a couple hours and loving those kids. They are all so sweet. And on Friday I got to go sub in my student teaching classroom and oh my goodness, it felt like coming home! I just adore those sweet little babes so much! They are such a fun group, so loving and silly! And the best part was that I got to do the jog-a-thon with them. So I walked with my little kinder besties, dancing along to the music and collecting confetti from the confetti cannons as we went. It was just so fun! 

Bringing... Carly to school to on my subbing mornings and loving how she has made an effort lately to wear cardigans and her "Cunningham" lanyard and a bag instead of a backpack so she looks like a teacher. She's just my little mini-me and I love her to pieces. 

Spotting... Carly in the hallway at school finishing up testing and feeling so proud of my little hard worker. 

Heartbroken... that our school districts' financial failings resulted in over 100 teachers being rifted (let go for next year).  For our elementary school that meant around 10 teachers were not given renewed contracts for the 2024-2025 school year. In addition to sadness for my friends and colleagues who are such good teachers, I am also sad for myself because this means that it's incredibly unlikely I will have a job next year. And having just graduated... this is a huge disappointment. 

Watching... Baby Reindeer, which was oddly charming and very entertaining, as well as The Asunta Case, which was wildly disturbing. 

Reading... The Secret Book of Flora Lea and listening to the Moon of the Leaves, which is about a small native village in Canada post-apocalypse.  

Relishing... my first day off work with no homework on Wednesday this week. I am so behind on life, but I made sure to make time to read on the porch and enjoy a show while eating Subway with a side of Crumbl cookie. It was so insanely lovely.

Attending... games for Wyatt and feeling so proud of that kid. He has really improved in every area. Batting, hitting, running... Way to go Wyatt. I just adore you and you're so amazing. 

Cracking up... at Carly. Okay, let me set this up for you: Carly is finally old enough to run off and play independently at her brother's baseball games.  But since she hasn't really done this before, I had a little chat with her about what to do if someone ever tries to steal her. I told her to scream super loud and fight. Unbeknownst to me, from that conversation forward, she brought corn cob holders with her to every game.  When Jack found them in her bag and asked why she had them, she performed this whole ninja move where she pulls the corn cob holders apart (they insert into each other so no sharp part is exposed when they're stored) and proceeded to attack her fake assailant. Oh my god, we were laughing so hard. This girl. She is so tough and unexpected. Then she drew a diagram of how she would react if she were being stolen.  The bad guy ends up yelling for his mom. Bahaha!

Melting... at a video my sister sent me of her daughter Sweet P singing. She's a year old, and her little baby voice singing a melody is just too much. I could just eat her up!

Listening... to Harrison Butker's speech and feeling incredibly triggered.  While I have been, for the last thirteen years, a very traditional wife, I don't want that to be the only option for women moving forward. If that is their calling, fantastic. It should be an option. But if it's not, I don't want them to think they are less worthy or valuable.  It was disgusting to me. 

Making... pizza and cookies on Saturday night and cleaning the fridge as it cooked. You know how gross the fridge must have been based on the fact that both my teenagers noticed I had cleaned it when they got home. Haha! That masters degree life had me putting a LOT on the back burner, and it feels so good to finally be taking care of my home again. 

***

Motherhood Memories
34 weeks pregnant with the twins

June 6, 2008 :: Jack & Logan

Two weeks old :: Jack & Logan

Four months old :: Logan, Great Grandpa Jerry & Jack

Wyatt Nathanial :: June 15, 2011

I had worried so much that my heart couldn't love Wyatt like I loved the twins.
I was wrong. 

Last baby :: January 24, 2016

Carly May :: Such a dream

My sister and mom at her first birthday

    ***




Josh sent me a video with Richard Dawkins in it, 
and it just really resonated with me. 


Bahahah! 

***


No comments: