3.06.2021

around here: week 6 2021

 {January 31-February 6, 2021}
















Watching... a puppet show that Carly and Wyatt put on. It was so cute. They hid behind the couch and each acted out different things with the puppets. I love them.

Buying.... new cups for the first time since we lived in Alaska.  I got these cute colored ones from Costco, and when I unwrapped them, I loved them so much, I asked my sister to pick me up a second box. I took this purchase as an opportunity to get rid of all our old, chipped, broken cups & mugs, as well as all our sippy cups. It's so weird after a decade of always having sippy cups to no longer have them lining my cupboard.

Reading... Angel in my Pocket with book club, Perfect Match (which is NOT a love story) by Jodi Picoult and The Woman In The Window on audio. Perfect Match was an un-put-downable book about a prosecutor whose five year old son is molested by a priest. It was so disturbing, but so good!  The Woman In The Window was about an agoraphobic woman who witnesses a crime from her house.  What ensues is a crazy, unbelievable, mental health riddled journey toward the truth. 

Spending... time with my mom, dad and sister (and baby Lu!) on Monday night in Wenatchee and making our own stepping stones.  After my mom made them with the grandkids last weekend, we all joked that we wanted to make them. So my mom bought the stuff and made it happen!

Having... flowers around the house is making me so happy. I picked some up at Costco (after reading Don't Overthink It by Anne Bogel) and I have decided I will buy myself flowers every time I go. The joy they bring is 100% worth the $10 and they typically last a week+.

Celebrating... a phone call I didn't think I'd ever get two years ago: Logan is officially seizure free. His EEG came back clear of seizures (awake, asleep and from light stimulation) and he is going to start weaning off the Depakote. We are all thrilled and so happy for him. When Wyatt heard the news he teared up, and Logan (without missing a beat) knew why he was sad and said, "Don't worry Wyatt.  You haven't outgrown your asthma YET, but that's because you're still only nine." (heart swell)

Feeling... proud of my kids as they are so thoughtful and willing to help others. They really watch what's going on around them and look for  opportunities to be helpful and it just makes me so proud they are mine. 

Laughing... as Grady (our dog) ate an apple core. He was begging when Josh was eating his Cosmic Crisp (best.apples.ever) one evening, so Josh gave him the core and Grady was thrilled. Don't worry, we heard that apple seeds can be dangerous (thanks for the heads up, Roxanne!) but they would have to eat a LOT of seeds for it to be dangerous for a dog as big as Grady. (He weighs 115 pounds) So the occasional apple core is now his favorite treat. Who knew?!?

Grateful... this week (and every week) that Josh does the grocery shopping for our family. He takes Jack with him, and together they tackle our (family of six) grocery list (for TWO weeks!) in about 45 minutes. They are MACHINES. Ever since he started shopping with Josh, Jack hates shopping with me because he says I am too slow and I look at EV.ER.Y.THING. Haha! (... he's not wrong!)

Smiling... at Carly and Wyatt's budding friendship.  The two of them play so well together, and I love it.  Wyatt is super sweet with Carly, and they are both really creative, so they come up with some pretty fun stuff together. It makes my heart happy.

Inventorying... all my unread books, and seeing which ones are available on audio via Hoopla.  Hoopla is an app that my library supports that allows you seven audio (or ebooks if you prefer) per month, and there is no waiting list. You can automatically check out books on Hoopla. I love it! So I made a list of favorites on the app of books that are also on my unread shelf so that I can listen to the ones I want to and help cull my unread shelf, which is a huge goal in 2021.

Starting... Island of the Blue Dolphins with the kids during our school day at home, and feeling excited to finally read this classic I've heard so much about. 

Working out... 4x this week.  It feels so good!!! 

Weighing in... at 216 pounds. Up a pound from last week, but my eating hasn't been quite as strict. 

Talking... to Logan about Santa.  He let me down softly that he doesn't believe anymore, and that he hasn't for a while now. (Honestly, I feel lucky we made it to middle school at all!)  He laughed when I was sad for him, and promised to help keep the magic alive for those around him.  How are the twins suddenly so grown up!?!

Reorganizing... the medicine cabinet.  It was organized at one point, then time passed, and Josh emptied it to paint the hallway, and so it was in need of a little attention. I am so happy with how it turned out!

Finding out... Logan has a broken pinky after his pinky got hooked in his pocket when he was running during a game of football in the front yard. Poor kid was complaining and complaining and I told him to quit whining.  Then Josh looked at it and called me over, saying it didn't look right. hah! Poor Logan! Sure enough, he has a broken bone, just above the knuckle of his fist.  The urgent care doctor splinted it, and we're hopeful it will heal quickly. 

Rejoicing... that not only can (and will) Jack put gas in my car for me, but Logan will as well! No more standing in the cold (or upcoming heat!) for this mama! Thanks for raising them right, Josh!

Getting... the cutest hand-me-down clothes for Carly from my girlfriend Shana who has three daughters. I feel SO lucky to be her downstream for all the great clothes her girls have. Carly LOVES when we get a bag of clothes from Shana because there are always shoes, and shirts with sparkles and often a toy or purse getting handed down as well.  So blessed!

Hanging... out with my friend Shana and her sister-in-law Jen on Saturday night and loving every second of it. We just sat at Shana's house and chatted, but it felt so normal (and is something I have so missed!) that I walked away with my bucket absolutely filled to the top.  Together the three of us have twelve kids, so we understand #momlife and the talking never stopped!  Also, Shana introduced me to my new favorite tea (that tastes like coffee, but no caffeine!) and with a little half & half and sugar, it's DIVINE! Teeccino in Vanilla Nut (link is for Amazon) So yummy!

Chatting... with my counselor this week about how much I love who my children are becoming, but also how strange it is that they are growing up, literally, before my eyes. Jack is taller than me now (how!?!) and has bigger feet than Josh.  Watching him grow makes me want to hug my mother-in-law and apologize profusely for falling in love with her baby boy!  Jack is twelve. I met Josh when he was 16.  That's only three and a half years from now. I keep shaking my head at the craziness of that. 
Also loving my counselors advice this week about relationships: "Take the good, leave the bad". Solid.


***

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Carly and my granddaughter would be a great pair. She will be 5 on Thursday. She, too, can pretend with anything. A couple of game things that I have for her here, she just wants all the pieces to use for her different things she creates. She still loves call the FP Little People and creates all these stories with her. Everything is so real in her pretend world. ❤️

Krista said...

Cuuute glasses! You got them at our Costco? Tempting! We still have a shelf of plastic cups too...
And it was so interesting when my oldest (almost 14!!!) was gone how the middle boy played so well with the twins. He's in such a weird place between the oldest boy and the 2 younger girls, but he is closer in age to them. That oldest one is a full on teenager and it's so weird! He's been taller than me for quite awhile now and his feet are the same size as his dad's! He also sounds like his dad to the point that occasionally it gets even me!
And I know it's not the same, but he had a gluten allergy for 8 years and then finally grew out of it and it's been so amazing this past year not to have to deal with that. It had become routine and now when I think about it because someone is still trying to be nice with food it's so nice to not even have to worry about it!
I love our library system too! ;)

Tabitha Studer said...

congratulations with Logan's big news!! So so happy for him and for you, momma. What an incredible phone call and blessing received. And I cannot get over the thoughtfulness of Logan's response to Wyatt that he just hasn't grown out of his struggle yet. Sweetheart boys you got over there - good job mom!!