1.09.2022

Around Here: Week 52 2021

 {December 19-25th}










Sarah @gocleanco would be so proud of me!


























OUR FAMILY HAS GROWN:
Introducing Cane's big sister Holly Joy Elfson,
adopted with love into our family December 2021















Watching... Love Actually and The Family Stone after purchasing them for myself to enjoy as I wrapped gifts this year.  They are two of my holiday favs, along with The Holiday and Stepmom. 

Celebrating... my mom's birthday with a big party at her house including my sister's family, my parents, my family and my cousin Alix' family.  We also did a white elephant gift exchange that was so fun and the kids all had a blast participating. While at the party I got to see Molly for the first time since she went home with my parents and it was so fun to see her! 

Hitting... the two year mark with Grady.  We are so glad we adopted him.  He's been an amazing addition to our family. 

Receiving... my COVID booster on Monday after feeling so worried about the Omicron variant.  I was hopeful that my reaction wouldn't be too bad, but it was awful. I woke up Tuesday and felt so awful! But I had made a promise to help my sister while her and Blake attended something out of town, so I manned up, drank some water, some Emergen-C and some Dayquil and loaded Wyatt, Carly & myself up in the van and headed to Wenatchee for the day. 

Babysitting... my nieces and nephews with my mom for my sister on Tuesday. It was so fun to watch the babies and took me right back to my twin baby days.  I was really glad I brought some of Carly's toys as Romy played with them on and off all day!  Carly was especially sweet helping with Royal and I enjoyed rocking him to sleep.  He's so sweet and reminds me so much of baby Wyatt.  It was such a fun day.  But it was also exhausting, and I ended the day telling my mom, "I don't know how Roxanne does this everyday.  She must be so tired."  We both laughed because I did the same thing once, and we know that somehow every mom does what she does... but I still walked away impressed that she is ever wearing clothes, let alone make up or jewelry. Hah!
I ended up leaving Wyatt there to have a sleepover with my parents and his cousins.  He was thrilled and I felt good saying yes to him. 

Tucking... Carly into bed and loving her little purple Christmas tree, and how it illuminates her room.  I still felt so sick on Wednesday, so I napped off and on. Thankfully I started feeling better by Thursday. 

Cheering... as Dashy and Winter adopted a little girl to add to their adorable family with baby Cane. Carly named their daughter Holly Joy (I may have encouraged the name after my cousin's daughter who was also born in December).  My sister has grown her family through adoption, so I loved the idea of using that same story line for our elves.  

Waking... up in the middle of the night to watch snow fall on the first day of break. Watching snowfall is one of my favorite past times, so I got up and settled in on the couch with a lamp on while I read and enjoyed the weather. 
(In other news, am I the only one whose kids run outside in the snow barefoot to take out the garbage? Teenage boys. I don't understand them. I really don't. Hah!)

Enjoying... a delicious start to a very cozy winter break.  The kids were all so happy to be on break, and Josh and I were as well.  The snow helped create wonderful Christmas vibes and doing puzzles, watching movies and reading lots of books made me feel like I was really in vacation mode. Carly and I even colored a Christmas coloring page that I printed from Lore Pemberton. We had so much fun, and I love how they turned out. 

Cleaning... behind the fridge after Josh cleaned inside the fridge and I thought, "Why not go all the way?" So he slid the fridge forward and I vacuumed and scraped and scrubbed until it was so shiny and clean! I was pleased with the cleanliness while Carly was overjoyed to be reunited with so many of her toys that had snuck under there over the last two and a half years. 

Matching... in the CUTEST pajamas my mom bought us for Christmas (she even got a matching bandana for Grady!!!). We've never had matching family jammies, and I am loving it so much!

Hosting... Christmas Eve with my family at our house.  My parents sprung for pizza (thanks mom & dad!) and it was such a lovely, fun, relaxed evening.  Our kids got to open their presents from Nanny and Papa and we all just enjoyed the night so much. I especially love all the ornaments my mom got- special ones for everyone in our family.  An elf for Carly, a Precious Moments angel for me, a football for Jack, a baseball one for Wyatt and a skateboarder for Logan.  She also got Carly the cutest tiny pink ceramic light up tree.  I love it!! 
I felt so grateful for our family being close after the week spent celebrating together for different things. After the year we had with some scary health stuff in extended family members, I am constantly aware of how lucky I am to have my people and to spend so much of my time with them. 

Staying... up way too late playing Mr. & Mrs. Clause on Christmas Eve after my family left.  Josh worked and I baked and by about 1:00am all was ready for Christmas morning. I made Hello Dolly's, Special K bars and Muddy Buddies, in addition to the cinnamon rolls I had made that morning.  I've never been one who loves baking (I usually just do it because I enjoy the sweet rewards so much!) but that night I enjoyed it so much.  I really felt connected to the people who had shared the recipes with me, and to the memories I had with each treat and what memories I hoped I was creating for my own children to carry into adulthood. 

Feeling... like I got a hug from my maternal grandma, Beverly, when I was rolling up and cutting the cinnamon rolls (from her recipe, that my mom used every Christmas) and one of the cinnamon rolls had a heart in the center. Clear as day. It made me smile, and think how even though I never met her (she passed almost a year before I was born) because of tradition, I am able to incorporate something she used to make into my own life and my children's lives. Pretty magical.

Opening... gifts and stockings with the kids on Christmas morning and loving their excitement over their gifts and each other's.  Carly got a kitchen and has played with it every day since.  Wyatt got the coolest Iron man Lego dot (like diamond dotting) art project that he loves.  Logan got a new gaming chair. And Jack got a new headset and keyboard for gaming.  Josh's gift was that day at the Seahawks game and for me, he got the most beautiful silver watch. It goes so well with my wedding ring & band. It's perfect.  
We spent all of Christmas day napping, eating and being together. It was simple and perfect. 


***


*

This has been my lock screen for the last two months,
and while I am eager to change it, it has been really empowering.

***

No comments: