1.09.2022

Around Here: Week 51 2021

 {December 12-18th}




IT'S A BOY!
Introducing: Cane Dashiel Elfson









Happy Christmas, Love Grandma & Grandpa










Pajama Day!








Taking... my Ajovy shot for the second time.  Last month my migraines went down from more than ten to ONE! One migraine. I was so overjoyed. 

Enjoying... a day date with my husband this week.  Josh took a half day so that we could pick up our pig meat from the butcher (we bought a pig from Josh's parents and it went to the butcher in the next town over the day after Thanksgiving) and while we were at it, we went out to lunch.  It was so nice to share a quiet meal with my husband, in the middle of the day, without our kids, without the distractions our house holds.  And when we were done, we came home and Josh unloaded all the pork from our van and into our standing freezer.  We were blown away by how much meat our one pig made for us. 

Saying... yes to the twins attending multiple basketball games after school this week. I love that they are such social creatures and that they want to hang out at the games. 

Attending... Mine To Tell  (via zoom) this week. I can't believe that I have already been doing this for six months! If you are wanting to work on your writing, I highly suggest joining. It's so amazing!

Chatting... for hours with my twin friends Kari & Kori about all things church, life, and parenting and walking away feeling so filled up. Connecting with them is always my favorite. Love you girls!!

Crying... as I met with my counselor and had to be open with her about my recent discovery of feelings about leaving the church and religion in general.  I want to be able to be honest about my feelings while not wanting to hurt her feelings because at one point she shared with me her religious beliefs. Anyway, in the end, I was so glad I was vulnerable and truthful with her about my reservations because she assured me that this therapy is for me, and while it's nice I want to spare her feelings, this work is for me. And she doesn't want anything to get in the way of that. She said many times she has regretted sharing her religion with me. It made me feel really cared about that she has thought about it and that she wants what is best for me.  

Thankful... that Aunt Julie saved the day and picked up some adorable holiday outfits for Carly to wear during this last week of school before Christmas.  She had so much fun wearing the cute scrunchies and holiday-themed dresses.  Thanks Julie!!!

Laughing... at all the Elf shenanigans this week.  First, Winter & Dashy had a baby!! We're pretty sure it's a boy, but when discussing his gender, Carly said, "Well, maybe it's a they," which made me so proud of her. This girl is what will make the next generation so amazing. 
In the end, we named him Cane (like Candy Cane) and he had a fun week getting into mischief with his parents, like hanging from our undies on the Christmas tree and playing with Carly's toys. One afternoon the Elfson family had sugar cookie kits on the table for the kids to decorate as an after school snack, and that was super fun! 

Taking... a note from my sister and every night when I check on Carly now I stand up a little toy doll she has so that when she awakens in the night, she can see that I came in and checked on her.  I am so amazed to tell you that it has reduced her night waking at least in half. Woo hoo! Aunt Roxanne for the win!

Sending... the boys to school despite nationwide Tiktok threats.  I vacillated on whether or not to send them, but in the end I decided that since our police force did not see any specific threats locally, that they would be safe.  

Grateful... for the adorable Hanna Andersson clothes my mom sent Carly. Some warm sweatpants and the cutest sweater! (I want one in my size!)

Starting... Silas Marner, a beautiful book my friend Jessica brought me for Christmas. I love that she was so thoughtful in her gift, knowing I would love a book, and knowing even more that I would love a book she recommended. Thanks J!

Painting... mine and Carly's fingernails matching. I still love having a little girl so much!!

Dressing... Carly up in her rainbow pj's for Pajama Day at school.  Her enthusiasm is just so fun!

Celebrating... the last day of school! It was a whirlwind of a week with spirit days for both the elementary and middle school to keep track of, plus teacher gifts & cards, as well as crazy weather, and we were all glad to start winter break!

Saving... the day and expecting to be celebrated. 
Here's the story: Logan rode his skateboard to school Friday morning, but walked home to a friends' house Friday afternoon.  Around 4:15pm he calls me and mentions casually, "I left my skateboard in my  English teacher's room." Panic ensues. He lives for skateboarding currently, and we are heading into two weeks off, where teachers will be nowhere near their classrooms. I decide as I'm driving to pick him up for dinner, to make a last ditch effort to call the school, even though they closed at 4:00pm.  The secretary answers. A true Christmas miracle. She agrees to meet me at the portable and I fly into the parking lot, running in the freezing weather to the agreed upon spot. She lets me in, and I end up having to facetime Logan to find out where in this classroom his skateboard is hiding. We find it (hallelujah!); she locks up the classroom; and I head off to pick Logan up, thanking her profusely and feeling like a bonafide hero. 
The next day it started snowing and hasn't stopped. So I did all of that for nothing. The kid hasn't even been able to use it. Hah! Go figure. 

Dropping... Carly off at her first "big girl" birthday party where she got dropped off with her presents. She was so thrilled to celebrate her classmate, Shaurya's birthday, she was counting down for days. Then the day of, she checked in at least even ten minutes to see if it was time to go yet. For a little girl raised in COVID a party with friends, presents and cupcakes, was almost too much excitement to bear. So sweet.

Slip sliding... on the ice as I went to pick Carly up from the birthday party. Snow, slush and ice feel foreign after a year of dry sunshine. I have to get my winter feet on!

Admiring... Carly's hair everyday this week.  It suddenly feels so long and doing it takes some time, but we are always thrilled with the results. When I do braids and take them out is probably Carly's favorite.  She likes when it's crimpy.  One night as I tucked her in, it was splayed across her back and I thought, "I have my own real life Rapunzel." swoon

Writing... up and decorating my own set of Mantras on a deck of flash cards. I am hoping to incorporate them into my daily meditation time.  Do you have any favorite mantras? I'd love to hear them!

***







No comments: