1.04.2022

How Much More

We just wrapped up Christmas break. Two weeks off with my family home full time.  Two adults, two teenagers, two elementary schoolers, a cat and a horse-sized German shepherd. Plus the new 8 week old puppy we adopted just before New Year's. 

The clutter in the house- the holiday decorations; the new toys; the Legos, the Barbies, the Xbox controllers, the headphones- it all started to get to me.  The unmade beds, the undone chores, the disorganization in every closet and on every open surface in the kitchen. Not to mention the throw pillows constantly on the living room floor. Ah! It was all too much! I started counting down the minutes to school being back in session simply so the table would stay clear for more than twenty  minutes at a time. 

Then, as I was mindlessly scrolling Instagram before bed one evening, I came across a quote that stopped me in my tracks. It was simply a reminder that however irritating your teenager's messy room is now, imagine how much more your heart will ache once it's empty. 

{sigh}

Everyday since I read that observation, I have felt less stressed about the mess.  I feel less annoyed about their crappy bed-making abilities, less bothered by towels left on the floor, and less troubled by my cluttered counters and closets.  One day, like my mom, my house will be empty of children, and full of organization... but it won't be all I dreamed of.  I will look back and miss these days. 

So here's a friendly reminder from someone in the same (messy) boat as you.
Try to embrace it.
It will be over before we know it. 

2 comments:

Krista said...

It's crazy I was realizing the other day while either talking to or reading about an older person. The amount of time you spend as a child/teen in your life is so short compared to the rest of your life. And/or the amount of time you have kids is also short, although if you have them spread out it's a bit longer. ;)
Still hard to deal with the mess 24/7 though.

Nuts about food said...

Thank you, I needed reminding… Fiona