7.07.2022

Around Here: Week 18 2022

 {May 1-7th}














Josh and I walked back down the aisle at our
wedding to the song "500 Miles", 
so when I saw this laundry adaptation of the song,
I cracked up. It's perfect. 
























Loving... Carly snuggling Grady and loving how much she loves him. It's so sweet. And he is so patient with her. Letting her lay on him and pet him and snuggle on him like he's part of the couch. 

Watching... a show about cults and learning about NXIVM & Jehovah's witnesses.  So fascinating. 

Subbing... this week, and feeling like it's so good for me.  I love the days when I sub because I feel so productive and needed.  I love the students and all the other teachers. It just makes me happy. 

Picking up... my first paycheck and feeling so excited!!! I am really proud of myself for this. 

Taking... Wyatt & Carly to the eye doctor to get their yearly exams and new glasses.  Carly's new ones are gonna be so cute, and Wyatt's are pretty similar to last years pairs. 

Enjoying... all the spring flowers, but feeling ready for the weather to warm up a bit! Come on, already!

Cleaning... our whole house while Josh took Wyatt to practice.  It was so good to get it feeling clean and tidy.  I even cleaned Carly's pretend kitchen for her, and she was thrilled when she saw it. It made me giggle because my mom always comes over and cleans my kitchen. And she says it's really no work, that she enjoys doing it for me. And I felt the same way cleaning Carly's little kitchen up for her. 

Shopping... with Jack & Carly, grabbing some Dutch Bros on the way, since I had to pick up some gift cards for the kids' teachers.  The boys all hate running errands with me, but once we're out, they're so fun to be with. We always end up enjoying ourselves.  

Celebrating... Teacher Appreciation this week with the cutest little gift packs for the kids' teachers.  We got them candles, kitchen towels, candy and each of the kids painted a little something for their teachers to have. I am so grateful for their teachers, for the amazing year they've had with them, and for what teachers everywhere put into their work.  Subbing has shown me just how hard this profession is. And how underappreciated everyone is. 

Taking... care of Carly as she was home sick for a few days this week.  Her feeling down matched the pouring down rain that happened as we snuggled on the couch. 

Reading... Ten Thousand Doors for book club, and oh my goodness what a magical book! It was a fun adventure and I enjoyed solving some of the questions and mysteries that presented themselves. 
Meanwhile, Josh is reading the last Harry Potter to the boys at bedtime, and it's kind of bittersweet for me. I am so happy that he's read the series with them.  They have absolutely loved it, and beg each night for him to read more. After each book, they watch the movie together, and the whole experience just warms my heart. 

Watching... the twins baseball game with my parents & two nephews who came into town for it.  We went for dinner afterward, and it was so fun! I asked the kids fun questions like:
If you could solve one thing in the world, what would it be?
What are your best memories with your family?
If you could have one superpower, what would you choose and why?
Their answers were so deep and thoughtful.  
We ended up letting the twins go home with my parents for a big cousins sleepover. They had so much fun and I was happy to say yes. 

Picking... the twins up in Wenatchee after I ran to Costco for our monthly stuff.  I got lunch from there (I love their giant pepperoni pizza slice & churros) and then hung out at my mom's house, reading and relaxing while Josh was home with Carly & Wyatt. 

Grateful... that Carly has a dad like Josh.  They are doing a bee unit in her kindergarten class and some local beekeepers came in to teach the kids about bees and honey, and they brought each kiddo the cutest little honey inside angel jars.  Josh made homemade bread just so Carly could enjoy that honey on the best bread known to man. She is one loved little girl. 

Melting... as Carly knelt to talk to Grady and tell him he was a good boy and we only had to put him in his crate so he wouldn't get out while the door was open. "You're a good boy... You're a good boy," she said in her little sing-songy voice. The girl just oozes empathy, and it makes her magic to be around. 

***

Here are some of the questions I asked the kids at dinner.
There are so many fun ones!







I loved these quotes on trauma.
I have found in my experience that I do really good in stressful situations (as long as there's not blood- that's a different story). I am good at staying in the moment, doing what needs to be done, and assessing the situation for the best solution.  But after the event is over, I tend to crash. And I always end up seeking professional help with a counselor or therapist to go over the trauma and work through it emotionally. But surviving the event and processing the event, for me, do not happen simultaneously. I have to consciously choose to go back and revisit it in order to feel my feelings and process what happened. 

***


1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

goodness! your flowers are all so beautiful! And I completely agree about the Ten Thousand Doors of January. I loved it so much and it has secured it's place among my top favorite books of all time. It was beautiful and fantastical and all the things - I wished it would have gone on and on forever!