12.26.2022

Around Here: Week 47 2022

 {November 20-26th}


















Carly's stuffy named Link

Our sweet neighbor dog Link














Happy Thanksgiving, from Grandma & Grandpa

Throwback of Carl and his namesake

Listening... to "I'll See You Again" by Jackie Hance after watching There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane on HBO.  It was a devastating special, and a gut wrenching book. But also, somehow, hopeful, and so good. 

Worrying... so much about my grandpa as he started his lung cancer treatment with Keytruda (which has us worried about side effects) and then as he was at the hospital waiting to start the treatment, he fell, on top my grandma (!).  Then  he also fell at home and wasn't able to get up on his own.  Thank goodness for lovely neighbors who came to help and another lovely neighbor who loaned him a walker they weren't using. It's so hard to be so far away from them right now. (They're about a 7 hour drive away.)

Creating... a Thanksgiving menu and getting our shopping done early. 

Catching... up on laundry after working and driving to Spokane/taking care of Wyatt last week and being without a washing machine for many days. Still so grateful for our new washing machine and the ability to do laundry. 

Staying... home with all four kids on Tuesday.  I was sick, they were sick... We were a mess! We did get in some quality snuggle time, though, on the couch.  First it was just me and Carly and Wyatt. Well, and Piper. Then Jack walked by and said that looked nice, so he moved Piper and laid with us, too.  Then Logan walked by and wanted in on the couch snugs, so he jumped on top of Jack and Wyatt and we all laughed.  There's no one else I'd rather be stuck home sick with than this crazy, fun crew.  They really are the best. 

Making... a homemade cherry pie (from scratch!) with gators (the school mascot) on top, only to drive it to Carly's school for their pie tasting day and remember that homemade items aren't allowed.  I had to laugh. In my right mind, I know this. I know things have to be store bought.  But I hadn't slept in a few days and just forgot.  I told the front office ladies to just feed the pie to the staff then.  Happy Thanksgiving, yall! 

Napping... with Carly on Tuesday and Wednesday as we were both so sick and miserable. Yuck. I hate being sick, and I hate my kids being sick, but the sweet silver lining is all the extra snuggles.

Thankful... for school being canceled the Wednesday before Thanksgiving thanks to ice.  We were all able to stay home and rest, which is truly what we all needed most. 

Opening... a new pair of grey short Uggs from my mom. (Thanks mom!) I am so excited to have them because they'll keep my feet warm and look cute with jeans or leggings during this snowy, frozen season. When I was opening the box, Jack (who has never heard of Uggs) asked if they were called Uggs because they're ugly. I laughed and said no, pulling the little booties out, and he said, "Oh, yep. That's for sure where the name came from." Haha! What a brat!

Sending... my poor husband to sleep on the couch thanks to my excessive, unending coughing fits in the night.  Since I sleep with a CPAP, he said it's easier for him to move than me, so he let me have the bedroom and our lovely bed while he crashed downstairs. Bless his heart. 
He was also sent to the store for sickness reinforcements.  Kleenex, Dayquil, Nyquil, etc. With five of the six of us sick, we were going through those things like gangbusters!

Starting... my master's degree on Thanksgiving day and feeling excited and terrified equally.  My teacher seems really helpful, and the whole program is set up to help you be successful, so I am feeling hopeful that I can do this. Even though it's been 17 years since I was in school! (Calculating that number made me feel OLD. Haha!) 

Grateful... for my amazing husband who did ALL the cooking and baking we were responsible for for Thanksgiving dinner since I was so sick.  He made pies, stuffing, creamed corn (it's a yummy crockpot recipe) and I can't even remember what else.  But he did it all and I was so impressed. 

Sending... Josh and the twins, plus Carly, to Thanksgiving with his family.  Wyatt and I were still way too sick to join in. Instead I hung out on the couch with Wyatt, doing my masters degree homework while he watched a movie. We were too sick to even really be that bummed about it. And we did have Josh leave us a pumpkin pie. Hah! 

Grieving... with our neighbors whose sweet dog Link died after being hit by a car on Thanksgiving when he jumped the fence.  Carly adored Link, visiting him every time we got the mail, and she even named one of her two favorite stuffed animals after him.  Her wolf named Link is a cherished lovey for her, and we both cried when we heard of Link's passing. 

Reading... The Christmas Bookshop and feeling so grateful to have such a sweet book to get me in the Christmas spirit.  It was just what I needed. 

Watching... lots of Hallmark-ish Christmas movies and really enjoying them.  Falling For You (with Lindsay Lohan) was a hit, as was A Castle for Christmas (with Brooke Shields), but Mistletoe Farm was a huge no for me. Hated it.  I also watched lots of Alaska The Last Frontier. I am getting myself caught up so when I watch their new season, I know what's going on. 


***







Reminding myself of this one as I adjust to being
a student, substitute teacher, wife and mother. 


***

No comments: