1.19.2024

Around Here: Week 49 2023

 {December 3-9th}












































Reading... Salt to the Sea (Gah! So good! It's a book club pick and I can't wait to discuss it!) and starting A Winter in New York, which was the perfect Christmas-y read with lots of hope and love.  I have been listening to Snowed In For Christmas, which I highly recommend for a Christmas break read. It's set in Scotland is so beautiful and cozy!

Staying... up way too late because I cannot seem to put Salt to the Sea down. It's so good!

Figuring... out what our shower schedule needs to look like with essentially for adult(ish) people who want to shower in the mornings. Our water heater is just not up to the job. Moms of teens, how do you do it???

Grateful... for my handy husband who was able to put a light in our hall closet, and when I tell you it feels life changing, I am not exaggerating. Trying to find the match to Carly's shoes in our dark cave of a closet has me batty some days! The light is so helpful! Thanks babe!

Entering... Week 2 of my single class and slowly crawling out of the hole I ended up in during my double classes.  Life is chaotic and just never stops. Feels good to be feeling on top of the house again before the holidays are fully upon us.

Blogging... this week, twice on Sunday and once on Monday and also sorting pictures and adding details to my Blog Notebook.  I have been tempted more than once this year to give up the blog, but at this point, that would make me so sad. It's the only consistent memory keeping I have (after Wyatt, #3, was born, I quit scrapbooking) and I've been doing it since the twins were two months old. How amazing would it be if I could keep going until they're 18?!?

Watching... bewildered as the shit hit the fan with our kids this week.  Monday there was a huge revelation.  Tuesday was another huge revelation. Wednesday another smaller one. Thursday a DOOZY of a revelation and Friday a little more truth coming to light. All I can say is that I have been thrown for a loop the likes of which I have never experienced in parenting, and I am humbled. Times like these I am so grateful for other moms in our family who love me and my kids and offer support without question. I am so blessed by them.

Enjoying... a puppet show Carly put on for Josh and I from the end of our bed.  Her light, her joy, the simplicity of parenting her has given me the levity I need this week.

Working... Thursday & Friday subbing this week and struggling to leave home at home. Loving our kids through hard times is brutal and beautiful, and I'm so glad to walk this road alongside Josh. He is my rock. Truly.  

Doing... homework in the pick up line as this week was so busy and nonstop that I had to get done what I could, where I could, even if that meant picking up guest wifi from the elementary school in Parent Pick up. You gotta do what you gotta do. 

Dealing... with a broken dryer. This time it's not the bearings, but the heating element that went out. So Josh ordered it and spent some time at his mom's doing laundry (Thank you Carol for letting us use your machines and for finishing up what Josh didn't finish!) and then he fixed it once the part came. Things like this make me super grateful he's handy.  He always tells me, "My dad said if she can't find you handsome, she better find you handy." It makes us smile. 

Bummed... that Maggie is already in heat. She's not even six months old yet! And her spay appointment isn't until mid-January. That's the soonest they could get me in. Cats are so intolerable when they're in heat!

Putting... on cute holiday nails. I'm loving them!!

Attending... Carly's Christmas performance thanks to another teacher taking my class while I ran to the cafeteria since I was subbing.  I was so happy to see Josh and Logan show up as well.  Carly lit up when she saw them. She's been practicing her heart out for this performance, so it was cute to see her and her classmates. 

Loving... my niece Lu drawing pictures "for Aunt Shally". I cannot. She's so dang cute!!!

***




This is so accurate. 






How cool is this pic my sister made of the girls?

New screen saver for the month.



Best quote from any (all) of the Hunger Games books.

1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

Girl! sending hugs and momma strength to you for whatever tribulations you are going through with the kiddos. xxo

cracking up about cats in heat...NO KIDDING!

a puppet show at bedtime - that is what dreams are made of! she is such a creative child - I love seeing all the things she brings to life!