1.19.2024

Around Here: Week 48 2023

 {November 26-December 2nd} 






















































Reading... Salt to the Sea and loving it!! It reminds me of The Nightingale in the best way, and is a WWII novel told from a different perspective than I've ever heard. I also started The Mockingjay with the boys at bedtime and The Fourth Child on audio. 

Dealing... with very sick twins (both throwing up) and horrible stomach pain for Wyatt and myself on Monday and Tuesday. 

Attending... Wyatt's awards assembly where he not only received an award for his awesomeness in math, but also received an award for having an excellent GPA. I am so dang proud of this kid. He had a ROUGH sixth grade year, but seventh grade is really looking up, and he is working so hard- making sure he is at school, working hard, and asking for help if he needs it. 

Making... sugar cookies with Carly in preparation for weekend plans with cousins to decorate them!  Melting (completely into a puddle) when Josh said to me from the couch as I rolled out the cookie dough for Carly to cut with cookie cutters, "You're so fun!"  When he compliments my parenting, my heart triples in size. Thanks, babe. 

Canceling... my sub job for Friday when Carly got a headache and threw up Thursday night. It seemed like a migraine (her symptoms were so similar to Logan and my little brother) but she seems young, and I'd rather not expose her class to the stomach flu if that's what it is. 

Meeting... with Wyatt's pulmonologist and feeling so blown away by the fact that Wyatt no longer appears to have asthma. It's unreal.  All those years counting breaths and taking peak flows and using the oximeter, and now he's well. It feels like a dream come true. 

Cleaning... house more than I have in months in preparation for my sister bringing her crawling baby over.  I don't mop for my own family, but I'll mop for my nieces. Hah!

Hosting... Roxanne and her girls, plus my mom, for some cookie decorating, plus snow play outside. The little girls had so much fun, and I was able to enjoy getting baby P down for a nap in my arms. Swoon. Not much better than a sleeping baby in my arms. 

Silent... reading for fifteen minutes as a family after Carly suggested it one night. I'm not sure my teenage boys were fans, but Carly and I were thrilled!

Buckling... down on grades for the boys. Our rule is no D's and a 3.0 is required for driving. This parenting teenagers stuff is not for the faint of heart, I tell you!!!

Working... on writing my yearly Christmas letter. I am struggling to even know where to start. I kept thinking about it and realized it was because my grandpa died January 2nd. It's hard to start with such a big loss. 

Melting... old, broken crayons down with Carly and turning them into super cool, rainbow crayons we can use. They're beautiful!

Finding... coloring to be so satisfying. I love coloring with  my kids. I'm not always one to play with them, but I am always down to read or color. Coloring is just so soothing, amiright?

Deep cleaning... the fridge, pantry and coat closet and feeling ah-mazing!!!

Getting... a visitor from the North Pole when our elf on the shelf Dashy made his appearance December 1st.  He also brings his wife Noel, and children Cane and Holly.  I love this tradition because as the kids have gotten too old for it, they've started helping. This year Wyatt is pumped to help make it special for Carly, and I'm so grateful for the assistance!

Taking... only one class after finishing up finals for my two classes, and let me tell you, one class is so very lovely. I feel like I have so much time on my hands and it's a teacher I had before who is super easy to work with, so I am thrilled! I can't believe this is my last class before Student Teaching!!!

Stopping... by the doctor's office just to double check if they had my Stanley, AND THEY DID! What a happy surprise!!!

Relishing... the first snow of the year. I love watching it snow. I could sit and read while it snows outside for ages. It's so beautiful.

Dealing... with a neighbor who is drumming and let me tell you, it is so hard to not let it drive me crazy!!!  I am very triggered by loud noises I can't control (namely music) so it's a huge trigger for me. I guess this is like exposure therapy. 

Opening... a late gift from Josh- the cutest little mug for coffee with bookshelves on it. I love it! Thanks babe!

Assisting... the twins in getting all their missing work turned in both so they can improve their grades and so they can attend their best friends' birthday party. Sometimes I really am a good mom. (You're welcome boys!!! Hah!)



***


It'd be cool if time would slow down. 

Like, please, just a little bit? 
(Baby Wyatt!!!)

Researching migraines after Carly's headache
and subsequent throwing up. She'll be 8 next month.



I highly recommend reading this article about grief and twins. 
Both One And Yet Distinct by Helena de Bres
It blew my mind as you can see from all the highlighting and screen shots.



My friend Ashmae's art...

And her beautiful words that really resonated with me.





1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

The twins driving!! eek! Motherhood is wild!
I read The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys and really enjoyed it (if you are thinking of doing another by her)
The cookies turned out beautiful (I love that crocodile! ha!)