4.05.2024

Around Here: Week 11 2024

 {March 10-16th}




























"So much of the heartbreak of middle age is learning how to hold two feelings at once- hanging on and letting go.  Aging kids and aging parents. Closing ceremonies and grand openings to new beginnings. Losing yourself and finding yourself. Who we were and who we are becoming. Heartbreak and excitement. The naive dream of a precious storybook life and the reality and beauty of pain and unexpected outcomes. It's all so much- but damn, do women know how to hold things. 

I've convinced myself that I don't know how to do this- how to wake up and do hard things every day while also showing my kids how to have fun, make memories and love well.  I think that I don't know how to carry it all. But I have proof that I've done it every day until now which means I do know how to do it. And so do you."

-Kelle Hampton

Loving... how Maggie gets ready with me everyday. She climbs into the sink and lays inside it as I do my hair and make up and she makes little chirps and meows and talks to me while I get ready. 

Enjoying... Education Assistant Week at school as we celebrated our EA's. There were so many fun treats and special things that us teachers got to partake in as well. Cotton candy, churros, and so many other snacks. So yum!

Lesson planning... and just enjoying the freedom of developing the plans myself. I adore our students so much and look forward to the lesson I'm teaching. I still pinch myself daily that I am in a classroom!

Reading... and finishing A Little Life. It was so full of ups and downs and peeling back the layers of Jude's life, but I was here for the ride. Now that it's over, I am devastated. But I started The Frozen River (about a midwife in the 1700's) and it's really good. I'm glad to sink my teeth into another good read!

Receiving... flowers from one of my little kindergartners and they are so beautiful. She made them with construction paper, tape and pipe cleaners and they are so precious, I am never throwing them away! 

Happy... that Carly is enjoying the Dr. Suess set up in our classroom so much. My mentor teacher has a Cat In The Hat tent that she set out along with Dr. Suess books, and Carly has spent most of her time in the classroom this week in there. 

Laughing... so hard at Logan this week as he has been mooning us at bedtime. It's the last thing we need, as I'm trying to wind the boys down and this makes them all laugh hysterically... but I can't help it. He is just so damn cute with his mischievous eyes and that dimple, running away after he moons us. 

Fighting... with someone online who I considered a friend, but after this back & forth (in response to something I posted about raising middle schoolers- how parenting them can be summed up with: "F**k you, Tuck me in") I decided I was done. Block. Finished. I don't need to maintain relationships with people who don't assume the best in me. Obviously that meme I posted was a joke, but also, it's kind of true. Kids coming into their teen years are trying to gain space from their parents, but they also really need us close by. So to write and tell me that your kids have never felt or said that and that if they did you would be really sad is just unnecessary. I don't need it. I am confident in my relationship with my kids.  There are (and will be) growing pains, and I can handle that because it's part of the job. 

Visiting... the sleep doctor for the first time in a year and feeling thrilled to report that I haven't taken a nap in three months!  I had been so worried when I knew student teaching was coming up, about how I would survive the day without a nap. And here I am, even with  my fibromyalgia, thriving and nap-free. 

Grateful... that Josh was willing to step up and coach Wyatt's team for baseball this spring. We had a record 500+ children sign up this year, and Wyatt's team (along with a few others) didn't have coaches yet, so Josh volunteered to do it for Wyatt's team. He's the best!  He's going to have the twins help, and I think they all will have so much fun together.

Watching... students struggling academically and trying not to let it break my heart. I think this is the part of teaching that is really hard. When you don't know what to do differently, or how to better help, it can feel really hard. 

Leading... my students out to the baseball field during a fire drill this week and hanging outside for a very long time as the fire alarms would not shut off in the building. I worried quite a bit for Carly as she is very fearful about fire drills, but she said she was the least afraid she's been.  It makes me so happy that she is outgrowing that fear. 

Waking... up sick around 4am Friday, just vomiting and in so much pain. Thankfully when I texted my mentor teacher she said not to worry, that she would take care of everything- lesson plans, etc.- and to just rest up and get well. I spent almost the entire day sleeping or taking sips of water, and thankfully by around 10pm I was feeling a little less miserable. 

Thankful... for Josh's sister Julie who picked Carly up Friday and took her for a play date, getting her lunch and taking her shopping.  She got slime and made cupcakes and just had a great time. Thank you Julie!!!

Enjoying... the Taylor Swift Eras tour on Disney and just feeling blown away by her musical ability, her dancing ability, and her endurance! It was incredible!

Sending... the twins to Wenatchee to spend some time with my mom, their aunt and their cousins. They went to the Alpine Slides and had so much fun. I was happy to get pics of them on their adventures. 

Watching... the boys play basketball out front with the neighbor kids and loving it so much. The laughter and good times just melt my mama heart. 

Rejoicing... when Hadley finally laid with me while I was resting from being so sick.  I love having cats snuggle me and reading while she laid with me made me so happy. 

Finally... watching another scary movie with Wyatt.  This week we decided to watch A Quiet Place. I hadn't seen it in a while, and oh man! I forgot how good it was. But the ending? I sobbed!!! Gah, so good!

Facing... some hard stuff that I can't talk about. Let this just be my reminder to you that you never know what someone is facing. So be kind. 

***




No comments: