12.26.2022

Around Here: Week 46 2022

 {November 13-19th}




















{Peep the migrating birds}

Spokane-bound with Wyatt

Being sick for two solid weeks is exhausting.

My fav part of the drive is entering the treeline from the desert

On repeat











Best birthday tribute
xoxo Sister




{Cherished texts with my Grandma}









Can you even with the kitty card Carly picked for me?

And then there's Wyatt's card... Haha!


Logan's note was so insightful for me. 
My giving him freedom (the hardest thing for me to give) means the most.
Love that.


And then Carly's ornament fell off her tree and into my coffee.

Cherished texts from dad




Constantly checking in with Wyatt. 

My sister's love for our dog Grady is next level.
She always brushes him when she's here, and he ADORES her. 
I love it.

Book Club!
In person!



Realizing... the washer is broken.  It won't spin while it's draining, so everything comes out of it soaking wet, and honestly, not very clean since it can't rotate to clean the clothes. The first load it happened to, I laid the soaking clothes out on the back patio and the front porch, draped over our chairs, and they froze/dried in the shapes they'd been laying in.  Jack's sweatshirt stood up on its own. Haha!

Subbing... in Carly's class Monday and Tuesday, and loving her little friends so much.  Sweetest bunch of students! 

Visiting... Josh's parents and seeing their finished house (it looks amazing. I am so proud of Josh and so happy for them!) and accepting their generous offer to buy us a washing machine. I cried when I found out they were going to do that.  I think Jack was as relieved and grateful as I was.  Not having a washing machine had him so stressed out. Haha! That kid really loves having clean cothes.  

Finding... I am super productive on days when I work.  I wake up early and get ready for the day and and the night before, I make sure the house is clean and I have laundry going.  On days when I'm off, I tend to think, "Oh I have all day." And then do nothing.  Hah!

Screaming... when the neighbor cat scared the bejeezus out of me one morning.  
I was all ready to go, loading the car with my purse and sub bag when I suddenly saw something moving on top of the van. It was Spaz, our friendly neighbor cat.  He mewed so loud when he saw me.  Haha! He had come in our garage cause it was warmer than outside, and then he wouldn't get off my van roof.  Logan had to come and grab him. 

Hearing... about a terrible tragedy in the neighboring town.  A father and his three sons were fishing in a little canoe when it flipped over and only the ten year old was able to swim to safety.  The father and his two younger brothers all drown.  Such a devastating loss for their family and community. 

Leaving... Logan home sick on Tuesday after finally sending Wyatt back to school Monday and Tuesday.  Wyatt's has had a terrible, persistent cough since October.  But he was able to go back for those two days this week.  Then he started getting sick again Tuesday night (seriously?!?) and I had to call off subbing Wednesday and Thursday because of how sick he was.  We were able to get a last-minute appointment at his pulmonology clinic (in Spokane, over an hour away) which I was grateful for. I have needed more coffee this week (first for subbing in first grade, then for taking care of a sick Wyatt) than I've needed in a long time! Geez!

Grateful... my kids can make dinner.  When I'm subbing, nothing is  harder than coming home, unloading backpacks, overseeing homework and then having to make dinner.  The fact that Logan and Jack can cook is such a blessing!  This week Logan made chicken fried pork chops and cheesy cauliflower (a family favorite) and it was so, so good! 

Loving... how Carly plays with all the ornaments on our tree. It drives the boys crazy which makes Josh and I laugh because they used to do the same thing. I think I know that this stage won't last forever and that makes me tolerate and even cherish it. 

Feeling... grateful for a stranger who saved my grandpa who was choking on his dinner at Denny's.  Then, after that, someone paid for my grandparents' meal.   The world is full of good people, and I'm so, so glad. 

Meeting... Wyatt's new doctor at his pulmonology appointment and feeling excited to throw out all our old health plans and try some new things for him. We are switching him to 4x daily symbicort (two puffs in the morning, and two puffs at night), plus using symbicort as needed.  No more nebulizer.  Wyatt wanted to throw the guy a party. Haha! He hates his nebulizer.  We are putting him on some crazy-strong steroids for a few days, to give his lungs a boost, then we're going to see how they do.  We'll go see his doc again in four weeks. I really hope this helps, and it gets him back in school. 

Listening... to The Midnight Library on audio while I drove to Spokane and back and enjoying it. Not a five star, but I did like it. 

Enjoying... all the migrating birds right now. I swear it's like we live under the bird freeway.  Everyday there are multiple flocks heading south for winter.  Their sounds and formations make me so happy. 

Sweetly surprised... by my husband who took a half day while I took Wyatt to Spokane so he could pick up the twins and Carly (they were all going to have to walk home) for me while I was gone, and hung the Christmas lights in between! The house looks so festive. 

Heading... to book club (in person!) and chatting about our book and just catching up in general.  It felt so good to be in real life instead of online. And when I got home from that special time with my friends, Josh had hung white lights around our banister on the stairs, and it made me smile so big! Just the most thoughtful little touch that he knew would delight me. 

Celebrating... my fortieth birthday with a day off of work (no subbing) and opening birthday cards from both my grandma and my sister.  My sister's card is one I will remember for a long time. She listed some of the things she loves most about me, and it just meant to so much. 
I watched lots of Alaska The Last Frontier (my current fav) and when Josh and the kids all got home, I opened presents and we had cake and ice cream.  (I made my favorite apple cake and caramel frosting- it was a recipe my Grandma Beverly used- and it's a family favorite.)
I got a GCU sweatshirt from Josh who has been nothing but supportive of my signing up for my master's degree; a mug from Carly that says "Be Kind" filled with my favorite peppermint candies; a candle from Wyatt that smells like candied apples; and cards from each of my kids that say all the ways I am important to them. (Words are my love language).  Lastly, Josh brought home roses for me.  The most incredible white roses that bloomed for days afterward. And his card meant so much. 

Waking... up early Saturday morning and blogging in Carly's bedroom.  Josh was still sleeping, so I snuck my laptop out of our room and into Carly's cozy bed and got to work.  (She was downstairs on her tablet.) Jack was a champ and brought me up coffee and leftover apple cake from my birthday and I enjoyed both as I typed. 

Spoiled... by lunch out with my mom and sister who came to town to spend Saturday with me.  We enjoyed eating and shopping at a local bistro + shop so much.  We got the giggles so hard when my mom was bragging about me to my sister and said, "Shelly made rice. From scratch." My sister started teasing me and then we just could not.stop.laughing. Haha! What my mom meant was that I had made non-minute rice using the pressure cooker option on my instant pot.  We picked out some super cute cookie cutters and a gorgeous red pie plate for me, plus a sparkly decorative Christmas tree for my bedroom. 

Opening... gifts from my mom and sister that blew me away.  My mom got me the most gorgeous leather purse (what!? so lucky!) and my sister got me yummy wax melts and the happiest coffee mug with butterflies on it that says, "Be The Change" among other things. 

Loving... Carly's snuggles lately.  She says she wishes she could hug me forever.  She wishes I could stay in her room snuggling her at bedtime forever.  It's such a tender age, so innocent and sweet. Me, too, Carly. Me too. 













Random Information:
It takes FOUR TIMES as long 
to remediate a student with poor reading 
skills in fourth grade, compared to
redmediating in kindergarten or early first grade.

Read to your kids.
Help them memorize their sight words.
Get them extra help if they're behind.
The sooner the better. 

***

No comments: