10.25.2010

middle of the ocean

I am in the middle of the ocean.
My arms are tired.
I am in danger of drowning.
Or freezing to death.

And though I look, desperately, to the horizon for some kind of hope...
for some promise of a better tomorrow...
there is only darkness.


On Thursday & Friday I was home from work.
Two bonus days off, hanging with the kids.
Or so I thought.

Instead on Thursday I got the stomach flu.
Vomited all night, got dehydrated
& spent Friday night in the ER with my mom.
(Good people watching, that's for sure.)

Doctor gave me fluids and sent me home.
Said come back if I had a headache.


So of course Saturday morning I wake up with a killer headache.
Roxanne & Ferris came to hang with the boys
and Josh & I went to the ER.
The wait was remarkably shorter.

The doctor was concerned for meningitis 
or brain trauma (from all the violent puking)
so I got morphine & fluids
and a CT scan.

CT scan was clear and I was sent home with Vicodin
& advice to drink a lot of water.
 

Stayed horizontal until Sunday at noon when Jack started vomiting.
He threw up every half hour for seven hours.
Poor baby.

Then today he spiked a super-high fever
so I took him to Urgency Care
only to wait three hours, 
have his fever go down on its own,
and never be seen.

Seriously.

Just keep swimming,
just keep swimming...
What do you do?
You swim, swim, swim.

5 comments:

Barb said...

Aaachh, Shelly, you are definitely having some hard days indeed! I hope that you are all feeling better. Hang in there because it will get better!

Becky said...

Oh man....I feel for you! Cheers to a speedy recovery!

Rox said...

Well on the bright side, I had fun with your wild ones while you were at the ER Saturday! They got quality auntie and cousin time! And Logan got some one-on-one Papa Barry time!

Kymberlee - The Mama Midwife said...

I hope this passes for you Shelly! Hang in there. I would be happy to help if you need it :)

Marilynn said...

Someday this will be a memory - that gets me through the hard times. And then they turn into Mom war stories. I have lots of them, every mom does, and this is a doozie! I love you honey and I feel for you.