4.23.2011

Alaska, Here We Come...

Yesterday Josh got not one but two calls from a rural school district in Southwest Alaska.  The first position was in a village called Russian Mission, Alaska.  The position was for a first/second grade split.  The second position is the one we had in mind when we interviewed with the Lower Yukon School District representatives at the job fair in Seattle last weekend.  It is in a village called Marshall, Alaska.  The position is for a fifth/sixth grade split.  We talked it through, made a list of pros and cons for each position, and in the end decided to go with Marshall.

We got home from playing at the park with the kids and Josh called the HR Director to let him know his decision.  I was outside playing in the front yard with the boys so he could talk in peace and all I saw through the window was a lot of excited fist pumping and a huge smile.  As soon as he hung up he flew out the door to hug me and said, "I'm a teacher!"  
What a moment!

The red star on this map pinpoints where Marshall Alaska is.  It is located on the Yukon River and is roughly 400 miles west of Anchorage.  The nearest "big" village (with 6,000 residents) is Bethel, which is also where the nearest hospital is located.


Marshall has a brand new school (just opened this past September), includes a free laptop and camera for every new teacher, is a Title I School (which means if Josh were to teach there for four years, he could have ALL of his student loans forgiven) and pays 100% of health insurance costs.  Housing comes pre-furnished and expenses are subsidized by the district and include utilities.  Also, after we have lived there a year, we will qualify for the Alaska Oil Dividends, which last year was roughly $3500 per person in your family.  It is a small village, roughly 400 people, with only a school, post office & small store, and there are no vehicles necessary- everyone walks everywhere.  The majority of residents are native Alaskans who subsist on moose, salmon & berries.

Right now the plan is for Josh to leave for Alaska the first week of August- school starts on August 8th, our eight year wedding anniversary- and stay in the single teacher housing until our new unit is completed. The projected completion date is October 1.  The more realistic date is mid-December. So I will stay here with the kids until Josh flies home over Christmas break to move us up North with him.

We have three months left together, then I will have roughly five months here in Vancouver without Josh, and roughly five months up in Marshall without everyone else- school ends mid May.

"I'm 98% excited, 2% scared... 
Or maybe it's the other way around... 
But that's what make it so intense!" 
-Oscar
(Armageddon)

16 comments:

Jenn said...

FANTASTIC! Oh, I'm so happy for you, and you should be proud. It's hard to get a teaching job anywhere in the nation right now. I suspect you're in for some big alaskan adventures. Congrats!

Rebecca Jackson said...

So excited for Josh!!!!! So excited for your family!!!! Congratulations!

Julie said...

Josh + Job = AWESOME!! So happy for you, and sad, but mostly happy.

Rox said...

I love that you quoted Armageddon. I'm happy for you guys, it's your Great Alaskan Adventure. I'm thrilled for Josh, he's worked so hard, so long and will FINALLY reap the rewards! I'm here for you guys all the way, whatever you need. You guys helped me so much when Blake was gone. :)

Angela said...

What an adventure! I am sure happy for your family.

Heather said...

I am super excited for you and your family!!

The Adelman Twins said...

Very exciting news!!! Congratulations you guys!

Hammacks - You and Me Plus Three said...

How exciting! I flew into Alaska (Anchorage) last year and stayed just a few hours and in the first 10 minutes I FELL IN LOVE! It was beautiful! Just amazing! My husband is in North Pole Alaska right now and wears shorts in 29 degrees and he is a HATER of the cold!
What an awesome opportunity for all the loans to be forgiven and that dividend.... my friends enjoyed it and with a family of 5.... SCORE!
God is watching out for all of you and things will work out!
Big moves are Scary, they are exciting and I would go with the iffy- 98 and 2 percentages. Its me now.... From one side of the world to the other, nearly EXACTLY half a world. Its all new, exciting but looking into that rear view mirror as you leave, is when the percertages flip flop!
Congrats on having a husband that is a teacher. I can just "see" him (from the blogs) doing that! How exciting!

Becky K said...

What an adventure! I'm sure going to miss you! I'm happy and sad at the same time. I wish you all the best! *HUGS*

Laura said...

I'm excited to send ya'll care packages, and letters. And to go on a cruise. I am so PROUD of you guys.

-Laura

Jessica said...

Congrats, sounds like just what you guys have been wishing for! I'll be thinking about your family as you go through your transition, we have been going through a big move as well and it is certainly a lot of work and we were apart for about a month, but luckily within a driving distance! Hang in there, definitely a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

Jessica said...

http://www.bormanntwins.blogspot.com

Mama Voss said...

Congratulations! I've watched your blog and it looks like your prayers are being answered ... huge hugs!

Lynnette said...

Congrats on the new job! Looks like it's going to be a big adventure, hopefully you will have a good internet connection out there :) Other than being a tiny town, it really does sound like a wonderful opportunity for your family!

Nicole said...

Wonderful news Shelly! I'm so excited for you and your family to start a new adventure!

Aniko said...

I lived in Bethel, I actually helped build the disco tech there in the 70's....... I know this is a really exciting and scary time. Know that you are not alone. I know that you have a large support group but know that during that 3 months when Josh is getting everything ready for you and the boys if you need anything ANYTHING I am but 1 hour away and am more then willing to come and help any way that I can. I love you all.