6.16.2018

On Having Bigger Twins, Finally!

I feel I should start this post by saying that at this point in life 90% of the time the twins are just, in our house, "Logan" and "Jack".  Two nine (just turned ten) year olds who floss constantly (not dentally), have a love of all wheels and a distaste for most chores. ;)

But 10% of the time, I become sharply aware of the fact that they are indeed identical twins with a special relationship that requires some special treatment & occasional awe.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw a mama with baby twins and I shouted at her across the parking lot that seeing her babes was making me nostalgic as mine had just turned ten.  She laughed and we exchanged "twin mom" info- boys? girls? (We both had boys) Identical? Fraternal? (We both had identical) I laughingly assured her it gets easier the way moms did for me when my twins were infants.  I had not for one second believed them, but it turns out it's actually true.

When they are babies, you don't sleep, their needs are constant and once they start moving- forget it! You're screwed! Basically until they are three, parenting twins is ridiculous.  Unless they're in bed or strapped in the stroller, you're outnumbered and exhausted.

But then they turn seven.  And this magic thing happens.  They start helping.  They start unloading the dishwasher, and doing the catbox.  They start vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom.  They start putting away laundry and setting the table.  It's like this sudden switch and they can do so much for themselves, and so much for you!

Now I get to sit back and enjoy them and their relationship.  We can talk about their twinship and how they wouldn't trade it for anything.  (They both agree that being a singleton would be lonely and boring.  They have zero desire to exist without each other.  This makes my mama heart swell to twice its size.)  

I am so grateful God blessed me with twins.
And I am equally grateful to be out of the first stages with them.
They were cute,
but man alive was I tired!

***

No comments: