5.25.2020

around here: week 20 2020

{May 10-16th}



 










{baby wyatt!}








Celebrating... Mother's Day with Josh out of town helping his sister finish her house to get it on the market.  We were missing him fierce the whole time he was gone (I don't think I have ever missed him so much, and I lived an entire school year without him when Carly was a newborn-), single parenting during COVID not being my strong suit, but the kids came in strong for my special day, making me coffee and muffins (our family favorite, Jiffy from the box) and Logan even called Grandma Carol to see if she would take them for the afternoon and give mommy some time off duty.  Sooo sweet!
Their cards melted my heart and I felt so proud (and blessed) to be their mommy.

Porch visiting... with my girl Shana during my afternoon off from the kiddos, and enjoying the Starbuck's and beautiful rose she brought me while we chatted.  These are strange times, indeed, but we're all making the best of it.

Seeing... Jack's gorgeous straight smile for the first time with his braces off on Monday after a long overdue orthodontist appointment. Carly and I waited in the car during his appointment- she played and I read- and he came out looking soo handsome! Now I can't wait to see Logan's come off!

Laughing... (and sharing on social media) about my amazing quarantine fashun sense and hearing that I am not alone. Unwashed hair in a messy bun, coupled with day-old clothes with unidentifiable stains, bags under our eyes from sleepless nights while rocking the highest weights we've ever been, somehow us mama's are making it through. #fistbump We got this, ladies.

Reading... Writers & Lovers and feeling that pull to write again.  Such a good read, and so fun to underline and be inspired by.  And also reading Nothing to See Here, which as a mom and former nanny I really enjoyed. It was a quick read and one I recommend.
I read both of those as the start of my #kelseysbotmreadathon weekend, hoping to get through four books, and they made for a strong start! I also copied some other bookstagrammers and made time lapse recordings of myself reading (you can see them under my highlights on my Instagram page profile) and those were super fun to see.  I get interrupted when I'm reading a LOT (hello four kids!) but that doesn't deter me.  And it makes the times when I do get uninterrupted reading time feel like a real luxury!

Watching... Ten Things I Hate About You on Disney one of the nights while Josh was gone and feeling all the junior high feels.  Gosh how I sometimes wish I could go back to the innocence of those years and tell myself to relax and enjoy the ride.

Happy... for my sister as she brought her former foster daughter for a little visit.  It's so good to see her in pictures and Facetime with her.  She has the BEST faces and says the funniest things. I adore her, and the relationship she and Carly has is hilarious. I love them.

Struggling... with keeping the kids caught up in school, and with parenting these rambunctious boys on my own half of this week. Our district doesn't know yet when our last day will be.  It could be as late as June 19th, but we're hoping to get out earlier since our online learning started pretty much immediately after we shut down.  Fingers crossed. 
As for the fighting, half the time, I try to run a tight ship and half the time, I remember what Josh tells me and that is, brothers fight. It's what they do.  Mostly, I'm just tired.  And man alive if they aren't the loudest bunch of kids you ever heard.

Recording... three things I'm grateful for everyday in my "Three Moments A Day" journal every evening even if it's a challenge (hah!) and finding it really does help me through the hard days.

Picking up... the twins belongings from their lockers at the middle school.  They had a good system in the parking lot where you checked in at one vehicle (from your vehicle) and then drove around to the other side to pick up your bag of items.  Logan was overjoyed to be reunited with his gorgeous new Nike shoes that he left in his PE lockers and we laughed to find his old cell phone still charged & working.

Suffering... random physical panic attacks throughout the week at different times during the day.  Heart pounding, arms feeling like buzzing bees, vision narrowing.  Just the worst. I really hate them when they come on at bedtime.  They usually feel like heartburn/a semi-truck parked on my chest, and I can't catch my breath.  When I get them at bedtime I take some of my anti-anxiety meds.  (I take Hydroxyzine, which is a relative of Benadryl and was a safe anti-anxiety drug to take while breastfeeding Carly.) But I found this week that on the days following the nights when I took it, I was left feeling very lethargic and almost hung-over feeling.  Not good. Blah. I hope I start feeling better soon.

Hugging... Josh SO tight when he got home on Wednesday evening. Boy I missed him!!! His face was all scruffy from not shaving (which normally drives me crazy) but I did not care a whit. I just loved him and hugged him and even told him he was so handsome and rugged all unshaven. It was so good to have my husband (and co-parent!) back.

Speechless... when I sat at the table as Carly held a humongous knife up to me along with a block of cheese and asked, "Will you cut me a chunk of cheese?!?" This girl. I tell you. I don't know where she comes up with this stuff... but she keeps us all on our toes.

Loving... on my mother-in-law's kitty, Peppercorn, when I dropped Carly & Wyatt off to spend the day with Grandma & Papa.  Peppercorn is so friendly and cute. His paws are huge, and he's so strong, even though he's still young. He even tried to get in the van with me. Haha!

Enjoying... another family campfire Thursday and loving us some smores!!

Reacting... to avocado on my nachos Saturday and having to call 9-1-1 because the advice nurse was worried.  She said since my tongue was swelling up, not just my lips, and I was home alone with four kids, she was concerned my throat my be next, and it'd be best not to take any chances.
Thankfully the Benadryl I took immediately upon noticing the hives inside my lips did its job, and the EMT's said I was fine.  Phew!
Now I just need to call my primary doc to set up some allergy testing to see what's going on. So strange!!


***



1 comment:

Marilynn Raatz said...

Shelly, thank you for your blog. I love the pictures and your writing so much!! Grandma and Grandpa's reaction to your blog was so awesome, I wish so much they could read it as easily as I do. Just know, it is so loved!!