4.28.2009

MY LIFE NOW...

This time last year I was 31 weeks pregnant, my sister was moving away to California, and I was praying to hold on at least three more weeks to the babies growing inside my belly. I had time to journal daily. I had time to watch as much Jon & Kate Plus 8 as I could stand. I only had to feed myself, dress myself & worry about myself.

Now I am a mother of two.

And I am a different person.
Words can't to express how much being a mother changes you. I was telling Josh the other day that I haven't had a bath since before I was pregnant. I used to take baths all the time. Light the candles, pour the bubbles & hand me a good Nora Roberts novel. That's my kind of night. Then I got pregnant & you can't take a HOT bath for fear of "baking" the baby early on, or something like that. Then I was too big to climb back out of the tub anyway. And finally, I was recovering from my c-section and following gallbladder removal surgery, so baths were out then as well.
Now the bath tub is completely full of baby bath seats, rubber ducks, stacking cups and Johnson & Johnson's No More Tears shampoo. Where exactly did my lavender bubble bath & coordinating candles go???
I am sure if I had the time to clean the house I would find them. Somewhere.
I digress.

My point is that looking back on my pregnancy gives me a glimpse of how far I have come. My life used to be about taking care of myself & my husband. Now nothing is more important than my boys. I have been blessed with the awesome responsibility of raising two young men alongside Josh. And it's a responsibility that equally excites & scares me.
Every time I think that we're done with one stage, another (more difficult, or at least different) stage presents itself. Example: They began to love tummy time (hooray!) only to then begin crawling (and getting into all my things- boo!).

This parenting business keeps you on your toes!!!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Yeah I agree with you completely. My son Gustav changed my life. It's not about me or Taylor anymore. It's about Gustav now. I think that it's not a bad thing but I do miss my freedom and little things. I would never trade my son Gustav for anything! :)

Roxanne said...

Blake and I were just talking about how it has been a year since we moved! I had this picture of you and I on my fridge the entire time I was living in Cali! I missed you SO MUCH!!

And now a year later I'm the pregnant one! Hey, if you ever need an afternoon to look for those candles you can always call me to come over! Haha. I only work 4 days a week remember!

The Evans said...

I dont think that you can fully describe to someone how much having kids changes your life, your character, and your passion. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love my boys. Ours are growing up way to fast.