2.21.2010

growing up

So the last few weeks I have been tidying/organizing my house. Closets, cupboards, drawers, under beds... nothing is immune to my OCD spring cleaning. Nothing. I have lined my kitchen shelves, gone through old food, sorted through the random plastic storage containers that seemed to have multiplied behind my cupboard doors, found new storage for my gift wrapping "center" (aka: my bedroom closet), sorted {once again} through the boys' infant clothes and really narrowed down how many I am keeping, and cleaned out my make up case.

In the boys bedroom I feel like I have erased their infancy. (Not by choice, but because it's that time, and their new toys/clothes need a place to live!) They no longer use their changing table, music mobiles, baby toys or outgrown clothes. As a side note, they are even done with their infant shots- completely- and won't have another shot until right before kindergarten! They are growing up. They are wearing 24mo./2T clothing, drink out of sippy cups (or regular cups when we let them), feed themselves every chance they get, can take off their own socks, put on their own jackets with minimal help, and prefer to walk to the car on their own, not be carried.

It's funny how you long for the days to come where your baby has a little independence, and then you get a taste of that independence (and the demands for doing it "myself!") and wonder what in the heck you were thinking. Now I look back to carrying two infants strapped into car seats from the house to the car (and vice versa) and think how easy it was; how contained they were; and how I didn't worry one iota about them running into the street into oncoming traffic as I do now.

On the other hand, gone are the days of washing bottles, bathing them one at a time (while the other baby screamed for his turn in the tub), and being up every three hours for feedings. I have to agree with other moms who say that
it doesn't get easier, just different
.

2 comments:

The Bormann Family said...

You are so right on the "it doesn't get easier, just different"! How do they grow up so fast? I remember the struggles of carrying the boys in the carriers, but agree that it was so nice to just be able to swoop them in and out of places though I felt it was a huge struggle at the time. I wonder if I could jump back 12 months knowing what I know now if I would think it was as hard back then or maybe it would be twice as hard?

Rox said...

Aww, they are getting big. I'll just take this as a reminder to enjoy Ferris' infancy, and his dependence on us!