4.01.2011

little moments

Today was my second day in a row at home with the boys.  With nowhere to go, no one to see and nothing to do, I am all caught up on dishes &  laundry, so I spent most of today just watching my kids.  It was such a luxury to sit back and take them in.  I learned a lot about the boys today.

 Logan is my independent, decision making leader.  When he starts an activity, Jack generally joins him.  When he is told no, he tantrums like mad.  And he's pretty sure that if he asks for something enough times, I will change my mind.  When I tell him to stop doing something I have to inform him of the consequence if he chooses not to listen. Otherwise, I am wasting my breath.  He is quick to apologize when he does make a bad choice, like hitting, and I am glad for that. Today I could see him contemplating a decision before making it. Almost as if he were weighing the joy of doing it with the crumminess of the consequence he knew would follow.  Aside from his strong will, he is a big lover. He will hug me randomly and give me kisses.  Sometimes he'll lift up my shirt to say hi to Wyatt.  If I cry or get hurt, he will bring me his bubba to hug.  It's interesting to see the dichotomy of his personality. Stubborn as a bull, yet sweet as honey when he wants to be.

Jack is far more easy going as of late.  When I say no, he listens the first time.  When I try to redirect, he takes my guidance and moves on to the next activity.  He's more flexible than his counterpart.  He is new to the whole affection thing, and I am so enjoying it.  He never really used to hug or kiss me freely.  Only when I was leaving or tucking him in bed.  Now he is hugging and kissing me all the time.  He tells me constantly that he is so happy I am home.  He talks about how I take care of him.  It warms my heart to see this positive change in my little guy.  He is so warm, loving and happy now.

Today Logan told me he wanted to watch a movie. I had been trying to keep the TV off, so I ignored him hoping he would move on and I could avoid another tantrum. Instead he turned to Jack and said, "Let's clean up the trains and then we'll watch a movie, okay?" So the two of them started cleaning up trains and tracks.  While cleaning up, Logan sang the "Clean Up" song, and Jack, adorably, joined him.  When the job was done (with zero parental intervention) Logan tried to lift the train box, but it was too heavy. So he turned to Jack again and said, "Jack, let's do teamwork." Teamwork is something I have been pushing with them so that they can do more for themselves. Jack jumped right in and the two of them got that box back on the shelf where it belonged.  After such amazing teamwork, I couldn't help but give in and let them watch a video.

They are starting to use their words with each other, and it is hilarious.  Logan told Jack to stop talking to him. And when Jack continued talking Logan said, "Jack- listen to my words!" I find them using sentences that I use all the time.  Like, "I said stop!" or "One... Two... Three..."  To hear myself through them is good for me. It helps me choose my words more carefully and watch my tone as well.

When they got an identical piece of candy for lunch today, they both struggled to open it and got it open and into their mouths at exactly the same time. I was taken aback.

Josh calls the boys "Spaz Masters" when they are tantruming or "spazzing" as he calls it.  They have taken to copying him in this and will often even tell Josh that he's a Spaz Master.

My sister turned 24 last week, and the boys were so pumped for the party. This is the first time I think they really knew what it meant that we were having a birthday party, that there would be cake & ice cream, family visiting from out of town, Happy Birthday to sing and candles to blow out. When Roxanne talked to them about her upcoming party, she told them that if they wanted to eat her cake, they would have to sing her Happy Birthday. Jack enthusiastically agreed, while Logan was far more reserved.  Roxanne compromised with him, telling him that he could "whisper sing" (with his hand cupped around his lips) and still get cake.
Fast forward a week to her party and sure enough, while the rest of us are belting it out, Logan is sitting shyly, his sweet little hand cupped around his mouth, whisper singing Happy Birthday to his Auntie. So adorable!
While at my sisters' birthday party, the boys met Roxanne's best friend Lindsey's girls, Lily, Lydia & Liv.  When we went to my mom's the next day and they weren't there, Jack asked, "Nanny, where are my girls?'
~
This mommy is loving these little moments!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That would be one neat aspect about having twins I hadn't thought about- you have a standard of comparison. I mean, I assume Daniel is more creative or less focused or whatever than other kids his age, but I really don't know. Anything he does, I just have to think "maybe that's just how kids are this this stage". It would be neat to see 2 at the same age in the same environment, you could really see their personality shine.

Rox said...

Haha, is it mean to make 2 year olds sing for cake?

That story of Teamwork clean up is precious!