4.05.2012

Heavy

April 2012- 158 pounds
August 2010- 181 pounds

This morning I was overjoyed when my scale read 158 in those sweet red numbers that have been on my side since I arrived here in Marshall.  The last few days have been a struggle for me.  Attempting to feel my feelings instead of eating them has been difficult to say the least.  Having Carol & Carl leave was emotional for me.  I had missed having connections.  I had missed visiting, laughing & telling stories that poor Josh has heard a hundred times...
But I was able to persevere, journal, do my ab workouts and hit (!!!) my mark a few days early.  I am feeling pretty happy with my progress, and am hopeful to be in the low 150's by the time we head home.  During my bit of struggle (the kind way to say that I ate two entire Lindt chocolate bars...) I decided I needed some motivation. So I went through our computer photo folders to find pictures of myself at my  heaviest.  The pictures hurt me physically to look at.  Even as I type about them, my eyes are welling with tears.  I was so unhappy then. I felt so broken.
---
August 2010 was supposed to be a time for celebrating. I was supposed to become a stay-at-home mom.  Josh had graduated from the teaching program in June, and after leaving my precious boys for two years, the plan was for Josh to teach and for me to finally quit my job, and be home where my heart was.  After multiple interviews & countless resumes (even to Texas & North Dakota) no job was found.  It was right around when this picture was taken that the harsh reality of heading back to Lincoln in the fall was sinking in.  
I knew that leaving the twins for a third school year would break me.  I knew that I wasn't strong enough to handle that kind of devastation.  I wasn't prepared to miss more milestones, more moments... I was ready to stay home.
So I ate.  
...Nachos, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Cheetoh's, Tillamook Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by the bowlful.  The more I could consume, the better able I was to shut off my emotions.  Before I knew it I was driving to work, listening to JJ Heller's "Back Home" and crying the whole way.  (For a flashback on that time, check out this post.)
---
I remember when I saw the picture above, taken of me (& Logan, who was cropped out) at Cougar where my family has camped annually for as long as I can remember, I was shocked... Stunned... Mortified... I had paraded my fat butt all around the water hole, chasing my two toddling towheads, thinking I was this adorable mom.  I was in serious denial about what I had been doing to my body. 
And now, looking back, it makes me sad.  It makes me sad because my body deserved better, and it makes me sad because I was wrong.  I was strong enough.  Leaving those boys didn't break me. I was bigger than the pain.
I wasn't made for leaving my children.  And doing so for two and a half years was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I have discovered lately that I can do hard things.  I have done hard things.  And so when this weight loss journey (and feeling my feelings instead of eating them) proves difficult, I will just take the next right step, and know that I can do this, too.

13 comments:

Kylea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

WOW! You look so great! I'm sure you'll be in the low 150's if not 140's :) The awesome thing is that you're losing weight the right way. Eating healthy, exercising and not completely depriving yourself so you're more likely to keep it off. I'm so proud of you and excited for your success! ♥ you Shelly!!

Jessica Zimmerman said...

You look amazing! Way to go!!! Feeling your feelings instead of eating them is a hard habit to learn. I'm working on it too....

Random question: Have you ever tried wearing Wyatt on your back in the Ergo? David is the same size and I find that he's so heavy now it's more comfortable if he's on my back. Also, it can be hard to see where you are going when he's on my front. I think the ergo website has some good instructions for how to get the ergo on your back! It's also nice to have my hands a bit more free to be able to carry things or help Claire.

Kylea said...

You look great! I myself am working on losing 30lbs.. It's tough to stay motivated! Though thanks to you.. I just got a lil more pep in my step! ;) wtg!

Krystle said...

Fantastic job! I'm on the journey too and you have given me great inspiration!!!

Cassie said...

You are doing awesome, Shelly! Congrats on your healthy changes and to being good to yourself! These are the things that make us happier mamas and wives. :)

Jolene said...

Shelly I wish I had your strength. I need toi so bad. You give me insperation and hope I have to start.

Lori said...

I love so much how you are totally owning your choices and the reality of what's going on. You have come SO far and you are doing an amazing job. Super times ten congrats to you!

Rox said...

Sad for where you were, happy for where you ARE.
Seeing you nearly every day I guess I didn't realize you were that big. Plus, you're a little shorter than me so I think of you as little like Mom. But seeing that picture, it's hard to believe that's you - that's not who you are in my head, like you were saying.

Keep your motivation and stay healthy in your body and your mind! I'm proud of you. You're setting a good example for your family, too!

The Guddats said...

What an awesome post! Thank you for your transparency and congrats on reaching your goal! You look strong and fit.

Marilynn Raatz said...

Honey I am so proud of you. Not just for the weight loss and exercise which is so awesome, but because you are loving yourself,inside and out, and proud of yourself and know how strong and wonderful you are.
And please remember that we did see an adorable mom. And you were out there playing with your kids, not hiding on a blanket or staying fully dressed in the shade.

Mama Voss said...

I am so proud of you! You've worked hard and you look fantastic :)

The Adelman Twins said...

So proud of you! You look great- I can tell from your blog that you are feeling great too... which is the most important!

And for the record, I have always thought of you as an adorable mom!