11.24.2012

community

 This Thanksgiving, my first away from family, I learned the importance of community.
Wednesday the boys and I trekked to the school (luckily it was "warm" out.  Six degrees with no wind) for the Thanksgiving feast put on by the school's amazing cook, Gloria, and her many helpers.  If you look in the upper left hand corner of the this picture, you will find the boys and I visiting with Josh's students.

Wyatt does not have a shy bone in his body.  When we were all lined up waiting for our turn to eat, he ran around the gym, smiling at people, saying "hi" and laughing.  He's such a ham! I love it!

The food was truly amazing.  The turkey, the stuffing, the pumpkin pie (with whipped cream!) and my boys were so well behaved.  They had good manners, were patient while I was eating, and tried a little bit of everything on their plate.  Wyatt just sat next to me on the bench, and never even tried to get down.  He just ate his lunch, "talking" the whole time.

We sat across from some people from the village, and they just loved Wyatt. He's so stinking cute, and everyone is amazed at how vocal he is.  His language skills are really off the charts.  It makes for fun interactions with him and new friends.

On Thursday we hosted Thanksgiving for the staff.  I was so excited to host my first Thanksgiving and to have a house full of people. 

I made my first turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and fudge. I also set out cranberry sauce, olives and pickles.  I messaged my dad in the morning and told him Happy Thanksgiving and that I would be eating olives and pickles as I cooked and thinking of him.  He wrote back that he does love him some olives and pickles, but that he would sacrifice them this year if it meant I could be there. It made me cry.   
---
Everyone else brought rolls, green beans, cake, pumpkin pie...  It was a serious feast!

I had everyone go around and say what they were thankful for.  I started by telling them I was thankful for them.  For the community we have within each other and the comfort that provides me. 

Everyone pretty much echoed my sentiments.  Saying they were grateful to work with such an awesome staff, to have coworkers who are also friends, to have this sense of family and belonging while so far away from their actual families. 

It was heartwarming to hear how much we depend on each other and how we have been able to meet each other's needs. 

There were ten grown ups, and seven kids, age five and under. It was loud, fun and really happy.  As I visited with everyone, my heart felt full. I feel so lucky to be here, with these people, enjoying this sometimes strange existence in rural Alaska.

The twins were overjoyed to have everyone over. Especially their friends, Michael & Aaliyah, and their baby sisters, Khaila & Khasia. I was happy that they were so excited.

They played so nicely together, and it just felt really homey.  I found that as the day wore on, I just had more and more to be thankful for. 

I am grateful for this little guy... 
Grateful for his hugs, snuggles & kisses;
Grateful for singing & rocking him to sleep;
Grateful for the daily dose of joy he brings me.

I am grateful for this big guy...
Grateful for his sense of humor;
Grateful for his enthusiasm for learning;
Grateful for my job as his mommy.

I am grateful for this big guy...
Grateful for his hilarious vocabulary;
Grateful for his bedtime prayers;
Grateful for the purpose raising him gives me.


And I am especially grateful for this guy...
Grateful for his hugs & kisses;
Grateful for his support & listening ear;
Grateful for the opportunity he's given me to be a stay-at-home mom.

I live a very blessed life, and this week I was made well aware of it.
~

1 comment:

Rox said...

I love seeing pictures of your friends and being able to put faces to names. I just want to SQUEEEEEEZE the boys!