1.07.2013

grocery shopping in rural Alaska

I have had it on my mind to do a post on my grocery shopping experience in Alaska.
 This is a picture of the co-op.  It is a small, community owned "grocery store".  It carries cereal, crackers & canned good quite regularly.  Things like milk & cream are never in the store, whereas ice cream or yogurt will sometimes (excitedly!) make an appearance.  At the beginning of the month is the best time to shop and we always stock up on eggs ($6.99/18), cheese ($14/1lb.) and any dairy products they happen to have (sour cream, cream cheese...) and Josh also splurges on a bag of chips, usually Doritos, that cost a little over $9.  We also buy soda at the co-op, and that costs us about $15 for a 12-pack.  This is particularly painful because I know at Winco in Vancouver, I could get a 12-pack on sale for $3.99!  We have bought diapers there occasionally, and they are not too expensive, which is nice, but sometimes they are out of Wyatt's size.

The last two weeks we have been waiting and waiting for eggs and carrots. Eggs for general cooking, but the carrots are for a chicken & dumplings recipe I want to make.  Luckily, since the store still doesn't have either item, Joe called Josh from Anchorage to see if we needed anything, and he graciously agreed to bring us back eggs & carrots! Hip hip hooray!

Fresh fruit and vegetables will also randomly show up at the co-op.  We have had cabbage, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, oranges, apples, lettuce and tomatoes.  Tomatoes probably get me the most excited!  Right now I am really craving a grapefruit. I think just knowing I can't have one makes it seem that much more desirable!

Obviously, shopping at the co-op is uber-expensive.  So we try to  limit what we purchase there to what we can't get shipped. (Soda, eggs, cheese, fresh produce...)

For the rest of our grocery shopping, we turn to Amazon and Walmart.  As I said before, I think of Amazon as my Costco.  If I need a lot of something, like toilet paper or dish soap, I order it on Amazon in bulk, using Amazon Prime (a fellow blogger signed me onto her own prime account out of the goodness of her heart!) so the shipping is always FREE.  For the rest of the things I need I use the Walmart in Fairbanks.  I have e-mailed my order once, and we faxed our most recent order.  When one of us is actually in Anchorage, the Walmart there has a Bush Department and you can fill your cart with non-perishable items and leave it there, and the store will box and ship everything in your cart (even a large rug!) to you for a minimal fee, plus the shipping costs from the post office.  We do this COD so when it arrives at the post office, Josh just writes a check.

Ordering on Amazon is, hands down, a million times easier than ordering from Walmart. On Amazon I can just click what I want. It's that simple. To order from Walmart, my list looks something like this:

6 cans Campbell's Tomato Soup 10 oz.
3 Ragu Spaghetti Sauce Garden Combination 24 oz.
6 cans sliced olives 3.8 oz or smaller

It's somewhat easier if I still have one left of what I want. Then I can find the name brand, flavor and size I desire.  But if I am completely out, then it's hard!  And if I am not specific (Like this time, I wrote: 3 Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip bags, 12 oz.) And so I got MILK chocolate, when what I wanted was SEMI-SWEET... Live & learn!

For other home items (batteries, candles, etc.) I use Target. I have a RedCard, which is just a Target card that pulls from my debit/checking account.  But by using the RedCard, I get 5% off my entire purchase, plus FREE SHIPPING. 
---
In addition to writing about our shopping experience, 
I wanted to post this picture of where we are on a map of Alaska.

For those who don't know, Bethel is our hub.
Alakanuk & Hooper Bay (both on the map) are villages in our district and Josh has been to both.
Upriver of us is Russian Mission, & downriver is Pilot Station.

We are 400 miles west of Anchorage, 100 miles inland from the Bering Sea.
I am literally closer to Russia than my hometown of Vancouver, Washington.
This is a great post from Josh of Marshall from the air!

9 comments:

The Parsons said...

How do you get your milk? Also, do any of the villagers grow veggies indoors with a grow light? I'm thinking small like herbs for the kitchen or a head of lettuce?

Marilynn Raatz said...

You can see Russia from your house?!

Had to say it.

I love you and grocery shopping sounds annoying but I'm proud of you for cooking so much from scratch and buying fresh veggies when you can.

Marilynn Raatz said...

Oops, that was from me, ROXANNE... signed into Mom's account! Haha.

Krystle said...

Oh my goodness! This was fascinating!
I liked seeing a map as to where you are at!

Is your housing including in his teaching job, or are you having to pay rent on top of that crazy co-op money?!

I bet it took a bit to get the hang of ordering the right amount and such.
Fun post to read!

Justinand said...

Loved reading this post--I'm amazed at the process you have to go through! You were on my mind this week when I ran out of something and ran out to the store. I thought, "I wonder how hard it is for Shelly when she doesn't have something?" :-) And now I know! You're incredible! Keep the 'daily life in rural Alaska' series coming! I think all of us city-folk are living vicariously through you! Enjoy you're chicken and dumplings when your carrots arrive from Anchorage!

The Adelman Twins said...

Awesome post! Super interesting how you get your groceries. BTW, Roxanne, you are so funny!!! I totally laughed out loud when I read that.

Anonymous said...

Do you have amazon wish lists for things you and your family would like/need? I know you have the care pkg tab, but wish lists can help people to send exactly what you need or want and it could be shipped straight from Amazon to your address--no having to go to post office. Just a thought...

BTW, love your blog and uber jealous you get to be with your babies--don't pay any attention to haters.

Oh, and the tantrums will pass lol. We ignored any behaviors by our children that we didn't want to continue and made sure to give attention and praise for good behavior (unless they were about to hurt theirself). Positive reinforcement instead of negative worked well for us, but boy it takes some deep breathing, lol.

EJSmith3130 said...

Thanks for your post! My husband and I are in the process of moving to Alaska now, and I found this helpful. He is going to be a teacher in Napaskiak so Bethel will be our hub as well!

I'm so excited that you mentioned Target will ship for free with the Red Card. Is there anything special you have to do or just go through their regular website?

Dan the Man said...

Hi, I was doing research on rural Alaskan produce pricing and stumbled across your blog. Some friends and I have developed what we think is a solution to the sourcing issue, and would love to get your input, if possible. (sorry if this is the second time I post this, I'm not sure if it worked the first time). Anyways, please let me know if you are interested, we are really excited about the idea but would love a bit of feedback from out in the bush! Thanks, Dan