1.21.2013

so you had a bad day...

I absolutely love magazine articles that tell me what to do.  
That have five or seven or ten convenient things that can help me 
organize my life, lose weight or get happy.

This is my list of bad day blues fighters:

1. CRANK UP THE MUSIC!
Colbie Caillat, JoDee Messina or One Direction (yes, You Don't Know You're Beautiful can turn my day around!) all put a little skip in my step.  And if we turn it into a "dance party" with the kids... even better!

2.  THROW AWAY THE TO-DO LIST
Curling up with my boys to watch a movie, or planting myself on the rug in their playroom to build Legos helps me be present and not let my {constant} worries get the best of me. Getting out the Play-Doh or jumping on the bed with them are also tried and true smile creators.  Practicing being in the moment with them, and enjoying it is always better than crossing something off my to-do list.

3. ACCOMPLISH EVERYTHING ON THE TO-DO LIST
Sometimes the complete opposite of throwing the to-do list out helps.  If I accomplish some things that have been weighing on me, I often feel quite accomplished, and free to enjoy the rest of the day without that nagging feeling.

4.  REACH OUT
Call a friend and tell them you're having a rough day.  I find the hardest part of this is dialing.  Once the person (for me, it's usually my mom, sister or grandma) answers, I feel instantly loved... supported... better.

5. LAUGH
Watching The Office every night is an important part of my mental health regimen  It sounds like I am joking, but this is no laughing matter. Okay, actually it is a laughing matter. But I'm serious!  Laughing for an hour each night with Josh after our boys are asleep is good for my soul!

6. JOURNAL
Sometimes I will sit down to write about one thing, and will find myself on a completely different topic. This has often helped me pinpoint what exactly is bringing me down. Journaling about it, feeling my feelings and acknowledging that those emotions exist helps me to move on with my day.

7.  BE GRATEFUL
Just jotting down a few notes in my prayer journal about what I am thankful for can really give me some perspective.  Healthy kids, morning sunrises, food to eat, and my warm cup of coffee are simple things that I can have gratitude for.

What is your list of sure fire bad day blues fighters?  
Please share with me in the comments below.  

3 comments:

Rox said...

What a nice post!
Things that help me: Being grateful for what we do have and remembering that someone else is happy with less than I have. Getting out of the house, I like to get outside for a walk or take the boys to get a happy meal, and of course I love to shop but I'm trying NOT to! :)

Cassie said...

Great list! I love that The Office does such wonders for you. :) When I need to relax and want to just sit and be cozy, I'm all about a good cup of coffee...or a book.

Happy Monday!

Emily said...

This might be random, but go to YouTube and search for Citrus Heights What Makes You Beautiful. My kids love the song and now, because of the video, they have memorized some choreography to go with it. If hearing the song makes you happy, then watching your kids dance around with choreographed moves will definitely make you smile and laugh. Random, but it turns around bad days for us.