10.27.2017

Around Here: Week 43




Logan, number 11

Jack, number 34









Thankful... that the first half of Logan's dose increase is going well.  So far he's just doing the increased dose during the evening.  I am nervous to increase his morning dose as well (worried about tiredness, dizziness and increased headaches), but we will start Saturday so he has the weekend to try and adjust before he has to attend school.  He has complained of headaches a few days this week, and I'm watching his moods for changes, which is another possible side effect. If you think of us in the coming days (as his second dose increases) please lift us up in prayer.  Thank you so much!

Enjoying... flying kites with the kids last weekend in the field next door.  It was just what we needed- to laugh together and be outside together and make some happy memories together.  Carly, running at full speed through the grass, as her brothers threw their kites and ran quickly away from them, hoping the wind would catch and draw them up.  Such happy times.

Picking... all the pumpkins Wyatt grew in our backyard garden.  We had eight total and now have a sweet little family of green & orange pumpkins on our front porch. Plus a giant one that Jack got from his teacher.

Attending... the twins' first basketball game last weekend.  They got beat by the other team pretty bad, but they learned so much and will continue to do so. While I don't think basketball is "their sport", I do think that it's good for them to try different things.  I am anxious to see them improve over the season.

Walking... to school nearly everyday and loving the fall leaves and blue skies so much!  I am wondering if my lack of walking last week (it was cold and I was lazy) is part of why my anxiety reared its ugly head.  In any case, I was determined to get more outside time this week and I made it happen!

Investing... in the SAHM's best friend-- dry shampoo.  My sister recommended Batiste brand and it is going to change my life (aka allow me to take a lot less showers, saving me time and irritation with my children who are obnoxious any time I leave the room.) Go. Get yourself some dry shampoo.  It's amazing.

Applying... and interviewing for a new job. It's scary to think of adding one more thing to my (already very full) plate, but we need more income and I can't bear to leave the kids, so I talked to a friend of mine who works for VIPkid teaching Chinese students English early in the morning before her four kids wake up and she convinced me that it could work for me, so I went for it!  I passed the interview and have a few steps left before I officially start teaching.

Watching... Josh break his back to cut back all the dead roses and plants in preparation for winter.  He also dug out all the bark chips and is replacing them with the beautiful river rocks we have all around the yard.  The front walk is going to look so sharp, and there won't be any more bark chips all over the sidewalk being dragged into the house.

Still... mostly not yelling.  I have lost it pretty bad three times this week, but it was only voice raising (no swearing! win!) and each time was short lived (also win!).  All three times I stopped myself, sending the offending child to their room to hang for a minute while I breathed deeply.  So while I have not achieved perfection, I am really super duper proud of myself and how far I've come.

Allowing... screens for thirty minutes some mornings as a sanity (and yelling) saver. Plus it motivates the kids to wake up & get ready & get their chores done quickly without dallying.  Before, we had a "no screens during the week" rule that we never broke... but then a friend of mine (while discussing my desire to quit yelling) said, "Shelly! Why are you making this harder than it has to be? If a half hour of screens means you can shower and blowdry your hair with no fighting, it's for dang sure worth it!!!" (Thanks Joanne. You're brilliant!) It was a good reminder for me to let myself think outside the box sometimes.

Introducing... Wyatt to the complete magic that is leaf rubbings.  He felt really rebellious breaking the crayons in half and unwrapping them ("Isn't this kind of like wasting, mom?") and then as he colored over that first leaf, his whole face lit up with the beauty of it.  It was so fun.

Crying... alongside my kids as they each struggle with different things.  Their hearts are my heart, and it hurts so much when they hurt.  Whether it's Logan's medication side effects or Wyatt not having anyone to play with during recess, I just can't stand having them sad or frustrated.  I have to keep reminding myself that their struggles are what build character.  And that not everything is up to me to solve.  Boy, it's a hard lesson.

Contemplating... the fleeting nature of this time with my kids.  I looked again at the most intense, amazing book about motherhood (The Gift of an Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison-- thanks Tabitha for the recommend) and came across a quote I shared on Instagram. (Speaking of which, I hit my 2,000th photo shared on Instagram yesterday. So fun!)

"The beauty that I love is the gift of every ordinary day that's left to me... 
It would be so easy to forget to love this life, 
to just go through the motions, 
doing what needs to be done, 
as if it's all going to last forever." 
-Katrina Kenison

Being... extra social as a way of navigating my anxiety this month. Between MOPS, book club, & meeting a friend for coffee I kept plenty busy this week. I feel like I've said it every week in October, but it's true, all my friendships are so special to me and such a blessing.  

***




1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh, that story about the leaf rubbings....SOO cute!
Prayers for both you and Logan this weekend, xoxo