10.02.2018

Powell's Book Store + Our Love of Books

Earlier this spring, my awesome friend Megan came back from a trip to Portland all pumped cause she got to go to Powell's Book Store and she was all (open mouth, eyes wide) "What?!? You've never been there?!?" when I told her I grew up in Vancouver (just across the river) and had never been.

"You, Shelly, who loves books and reads like it's breathing, has never been to Powell's?"

I decided then and there that I needed to go the next time I was in town.  I texted my dad and he was on board.


All in all, I would say it was a successful trip.  I got a ridiculous stack of books (11 in total) and Jack bought a hat.  I got mostly Ann Patchett and Emily St. John Mandel books.  I fell in love with Ann after reading The Magician's Assistant, and I fell in love with Emily after listening to Station Eleven.  I also got a copy of This is How It Always Is, which was our book club pick for July, and one of my top books for 2018.

The Stack:
Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
Run by Ann Patchett
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel
Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel
The Singer's Gun by Emily St. John Mandel

The boys accompanied my dad and I to Powell's after an obligatory visit to VooDoo donuts, and while they were amazingly patient, they were not as impressed as their mother by the bookstore that takes up an entire city block.

On another visit to Vancouver, I managed to sneak away with just Josh to visit Powell's late one night to get a couple of books on my list.  Something I love about Powell's is that in addition to new books, they have used books as well.  I can get so many books at such a savings!

On this trip I got:
 The "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" trilogy

as well as
The Witches of New York by Ami McKay (who wrote The Birth House, one of my all time favs)
& These Granite Islands by Sarah Stonich (which was recommended by goodreads)

It was so fun to peruse all the books with Josh (sans children),
but I'll be honest and tell you, someday I would like to go by myself because I could seriously spend hours there, and I feel bad making anyone wait for me.

Me & books... it's love.
sigh.

***

I am not the only book lover in the house (even if I am the only one who so thoroughly enjoys shopping for said books)... 
When I got out the Halloween decorations, I think the part that excited the kids most (more than the spiders or skeletons or even the candy collecting pumpkins we use for trick-or-treating) was being reunited with their spooky books.  They feel the same way at Thanksgiving and Christmas as well.  

It makes me happy to see these old friends out and to read them each night leading up to the big night.

It's a huge punishment in our house if you get sent to bed without getting to read.  The boys will cry and cry if they get that one.  They all love reading to Carly (and she loves it too!)

Carly asks anyone who comes over if they will read to her.  Lately it's been Uncle Samuel, and he always says yes.  She also asks Josh as soon as he comes home from work if he will read to her.  It makes my heart happy to be raising such avid little readers.

I also joined Book of the Month this year, and so far, I have ordered:

{June} The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir
{June} The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

{July} Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong
{July} Ghosted by Rosie Walsh

{August} A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Klebold
{August} Goodbye, Paris by Anstey Harris
{August} Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser

{September} Cross Her Heart by Sarah Pinborough

{October} Winter In Paradise by Elin Hildebrand

I love Book of the Month because you get a brand new hardback book for only $14.99 and you can get additional books for only $9.99!  Getting that happy box every month brings me so much joy!!!

***

When I got home I promptly reorganized my bookshelves and it is making me ridiculously happy.  I guess summer can be over and fall & winter can come if I have my new cozy couch and these three shelves of great books to read!

My next reading related goal is to make my October & November "To Read" lists, so I have some goals in mind when it comes to reading for the next eight weeks. Hopefully I will get them written and posted during Blogtober!


***

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You know how much I love this post! Someday I'll come to visit and we can spend HOURS at Powells...sounds like my dream afternoon!

P.S. THANK YOU for the book! I can't wait to read it. XOXO