9.19.2020

Around Here: Week 37 2020



Logan & Jack at the Cow Belle



































All ready to go to Grandma's!










Heading... from my parents house to my grandparents house at the coast where we went out to eat the Cow Belle (where we've been going since the twins were babies!), and where we played on the beach, and visited with my grandparents. It was a great day and I'm so glad we went. A highlight for me was when Carly reached over to hold Grandpa's hand downtown and said, "I haven't held your hand yet today!"

Driving... home Monday after a weekend packed full of fun.  We left early, thank God, because Josh didn't want to spend the whole day traveling.  Thank goodness he had that inspiration to leave early because we ended up driving through some of the craziest weather we have ever been in, narrowly beating multiple road closures.
 Between smoke and horrific wind, we ended up stuck in a dust storm about an hour from home, with traffic completely stopped and visibility at zero or near zero for about twenty minutes. It was incredibly scary. There was a motorcyclist in front of us when we first stopped, though, and he gave me some much needed perspective.  Boy, instead of our car feeling claustrophobic, it felt like the greatest shelter ever. (He ended up turning around and going back out of the dirt storm somehow.) 

Worrying... about Jack's headache Sunday night, but feeling better when my mom said it sounded like a dehydration headache. We are going to be working on making sure the boys get enough sleep and drink enough water in this week leading up to school. 

Grateful... that my brother-in-law Blake, who is a fish & wild life officer, also made it home safely after a crazy day for him.  He was out in the smoke and dust storms as well, but was helping people evacuate active fires to a safe place and I couldn't believe the pictures my sister sent of his vehicle and him when he finally got home. I told the kids we all had angels watching out for us, for sure. 

Looking... over our backyard in disbelief after we got home from our trip.  The pool cover had blown completely off; the pool itself was full of ash and soot from the fires; and our sunflowers had been blown over despite the thickest stems!  Crazy!

Unpacking... everything after we got home and feeling SO grateful for our big, beautiful, protective  house during this crazy weather. (Especially grateful for our HVAC system that keeps the air in our home clean & safe for Wyatt to breathe despite the heavy smoke we have from all the fires.)

Getting... life together on Tuesday running errands, taking Carly to Grandma Carol's and doing laundry.  Josh had his first day with his students (online) and we worked on settling into a new routine as we anticipate school starting next week. 

Loving... when Carly dresses herself to go to Grandma's on Tuesdays.  She layers, uses lots of colors, and always tells me how much Grandma is going to LOVE her outfit. I admire her confidence! 

Meeting... Wyatt's teacher and the twins' teacher (via Zoom) for their online learning this semester and trying to get ready for fourth & seventh grade. I am feeling optimistic about it, which feels good. 

Organizing... the house and my bookshelves in my bedroom. I love playing with my books (#booknerd) and remembering books I own that I am excited to read. I made a "to read" list for fall and pulled off the books that I've read and don't plan on re-reading that I need to get rid of. 
{How cute is the "To Be Read" book end my brother-in-law Samuel made me with his 3D printer?! I love it so much!}

Planting... bulbs for spring and feeling excited for when they pop up after winter's end!

Watching... fires pop up everywhere, sending smoke all over Washington and Oregon state, and worrying about Wyatt's lungs.  It feels just awful & outside my control. 



***

No comments: