12.05.2020

Miss Americana

Yesterday I watched Taylor Swift's Netflix documentary, Miss Americana, and I was blown away.  She talks about how so many of us really grew up together, and it's true.  She is more the age of my little brother (she's 30. I'm 38), but the idea remains. 

In the beginning of her career (life), she thought the most important thing (maybe the only important thing) was that she be good.  Be a good girl. Be the good girl.  Those were the same messages I received.  Be good.  Be nice. Be kind.  Be quiet. 

For a long time it worked. For both of us. We behaved like we were supposed to, and were rewarded with happy audiences. Then she crashed with Kanye and I ran into Josh, and both our stories veered off.  She started facing criticism like never before and I found myself with a choice to make. 

It took time, but eventually she realized (as so many of us do) that she could either keep trying to please the world (to no avail) or she could please herself.  She could do what she thought was right.  I did the same- I left my church (that felt like my home) so that I could be with Josh because that was what I thought was right.  That was what made me happy.  She wrote songs that meant something to her and not because she thought they would make her fans happy. 

In an  hour and a half, Taylor inspired me to be me.  To write here on my blog the things that important to me to share. That are on my heart.  She inspired me to wear bold lipstick and feed my body well.  (She struggled with an eating disorder for a while.) She inspired me to play my guitar (my dad gifted me a guitar and I'm going to learn!) and try things I may fail at. She inspired me to work harder, and care less.  (Work harder at my responsibilities and care less about what other people think.) Not an easy combination, but one that is worth the effort. 

At the beginning of her career, she kept quiet about politics. She thought it wasn't really  her place to speak up about them.  But then a democratic woman was running in her state (Tennessee) and claimed that she represented Tennessee women, and Taylor said no! You do not represent us. This politician didn't agree with equal pay for woman; was weak against domestic violence & stalking laws; and didn't want equality for LGBTQ people. That, Taylor asserted, is not what represents the women of Tennessee.

As I watched her become this political advocate on my screen, I could so identify with her journey.  I, too, never spoke up about politics much.  I voted every year after I turned 18 (because my mom said, "If you don't vote, you can't bitch" hahah!) but I wasn't super invested.  This year, for some reason, all of that changed.  I believe that equality for everyone is vital. I believe that blacks and whites should be treated the same. In all situations. I believe that gay & lesbian Americans deserve as much happiness and as many rights as straight Americans.  There was just so much at stake this election. And I'm proud of myself (and Taylor) for speaking up about it. 

If you haven't watched Miss Americana, I highly recommend it. (But I will warn you, it will make you want to download all her albums stat. Hah!) 

★★★★★



No comments: