1.04.2021

around here week 1 2021

 {December 27-January 2nd}































Reading... Upright Women Wanted on audio (it was okay, but The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek was much better!) and finishing Winter Sisters.  Winter Sisters was the second of the Mary Sutter novels, and was so engrossing.  I loved it. I wrapped up my December reading with six books, and 105 books read in 2020. I am so happy to have surpassed my goal. 

Attending... book club via zoom and feeling so grateful for those friends.  All throughout quarantine we have continued meeting virtually, and their support and understanding (they are all moms as well, trying to survive these crazy times) has been priceless. 

Undecorating... our house and rearranging things.  Recently we had the "game room" (table with two screens + the xbox & PS4) set up in Wyatt's room; but I feel like he's been needing some space of his own, so we moved the "game room" downstairs into the living room and we are all thrilled with the change.  Something about being home together so much in 2020 had us constantly rethinking how we use the space in our home, and I'm so happy to try new things. 

Hosting... my little niece Romy for a playdate on Monday and while I was nervous (she just turned three, and sister LOVES her mama!) it went great! She was good on the drive to my house, and she had so much fun playing with all Carly's toys and eating Otter Pop's (cause Aunt Shelly cannot tell her no- hah!).  It was especially fun to see her with our animals. She adores Grady & Molly, and they were so good to her. 

Taking... Grady to the vet for a booster shot, and finding out (finally!) his weight. Josh and I both guessed he was in the 80's... but he actually weighs 113 pounds! Big boy!!

Enjoying... a glorious snow day on Wednesday.  Big, fat, wet flakes came down all day and it was beautiful.  Josh had seen the weather coming and had gotten gas for the snow blower and some extra groceries the night before. I was so thankful when we woke up to a winter wonderland the next day! 

Soaking... in the last few days of Christmas break.  This has been a much needed respite from school for our family, and sleeping in, lounging around and laughing together has been so lovely.  

Ecstatic... that my sweet friend Tabitha, who is expecting #6, is having a baby girl! She currently has three boys & two girls, but the last two were boys, so she's ready for some more PINK. I am soo excited. (I even bought her a "Little Sister" onesie before we knew for sure. I was so hopeful!)

Seeing... my counselor again (via Doctor on Demand online) and feeling so blessed to have affordable mental health care, and to have gotten lucky with such a great therapist. Dr. H is an amazing listener and so supportive of my role as a stay at home mom.  She and I have a lot of things we want to work on together and this week we dove in.  

Setting goals... I have with my counselor.  She's going to help keep me accountable to- working out 3x a week; not doing anything else while eating (ie reading, watching TV); introducing healthier snacks to the family; and keeping my calories between 1500 & 1700 each day.  My weight has ballooned up (thanks COVID & quarantine) to 222 pounds. I am really uncomfortable and I want to get it under control.  Small changes are the way, she says, so I'm starting small with a few workouts each week, better snacks, and not reading while I eat. I've already done this a few times, and I have been surprised how much less I eat when I am paying 100% attention to my meal. The hardest part will likely be the calorie restriction... but I am excited to eat more fruits & vegetables, and to see some pounds fall off!

Laughing... as Carly told me about grandma pulling her on her sled behind the four wheeler.  "I went SO fast!" she said excitedly.  Josh took her and the boys out to the land while I had my counseling appointment, and they got to sled. They are so lucky to have access to the land thanks to their grandparents- so many amazing memories are made there. 

Celebrating... New Year's with chinese food takeout (our tradition) and going to bed at 10:30pm.  Hah! We are such old people. 

Sleeping over... at my mom's with Carly.  We had so much fun on Friday & Saturday, shopping and watching movies.  I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time and bought a ton of shelves & decorating stuff for our house. I am so excited to hang everything up and add some functionality (a magazine rack in the bathroom, a new lamp in the family room, another (blue!) book cart for downstairs)
We also watched Ammonite (the new Kate Winslet movie) which made me miss the beach and love rocks even more; as well as Blackbird, which was devastating. Susan Sarandon is just incredible as the mom with ALS choosing to end her life. 



2 comments:

Tabitha Studer said...

eeeee!! Thank you for celebrating with me on the new baby sister! We are all so excited and shared joy is double joy - you are so thoughtful and sweet. Your little niece is so precious - her faces when she is with your pets! omigosh! sending love to you and powerful vibes on your journey to feel more comfortable in your body. I think the number means nothing - it's how you feel! I love "Walking with Leslie" on youtube. She literally just does walking exercises to a beat so you know how many miles you are getting but it is simple and effective. Plus possible in my pregnancy state and the kids always join in with me too. They all laugh and say, "Mom, let's do walk, walk, walk!" (that's what Leslie says a lot - hah!) love to you xoxxox

Krista said...

Sweet Shelley! I realized I couldn't find you on FB and duh, you're not! Could you email me? I have a question for you about a friend's son and I'm just wondering for a little help. :)
teacherkrista@gmail.com
Thanks!