3.11.2021

around here: week 8 2021

 {February 14-20th}




Can you just HEAR this picture?




















Reading... The Kiss Quotient, which is an adorable love story about a girl on the autism spectrum trying to figure out relationships. I read it in two days! I am also listening to The Kite Runner on audio. So good!

Putting... a cast on Logan's hand for his broken pinky because he just can't keep on the splint.  I am worried it's not going to heal right, so his doctor and I decided that casting it was the safest choice. Logan wasn't thrilled, but I have to do what's best for him in the long run.

Loving... my husband for bringing me yellow roses the day after Valentine's Day.  He was busy working (finishing the cabinet install for our old neighbors) on actual Valentine's Day, so we didn't celebrate, but the next day he came home with flowers. And he chose yellow because he knows I hate red. I think red is cliche and not as pretty as the other colors. (So random, I know. I don't know how he puts up with me. Hah!)

Playing... Oregon Trail (online) with Wyatt just like I did in fourth grade! Wyatt was not impressed with the graphics (or lack thereof) but we did have SO much fun playing. We were laughing so hard by the end.  His cousin Milo as well as Jack (he named the players after his cousins and siblings) drown in a river crossing; Carly got a snake bite, then got lost, then died; and finally Wyatt died.  He was only about halfway down the trail and ran out of water.  It was a really fun assignment his teacher sent out, and I was grateful to have part of school we enjoyed!

Cleaning... up the milk spill Carly had Wednesday on her way to dump her bowl in the sink. I am grateful she cleans up after herself (by putting her dirty dishes in the sink)... but this time I think I would have preferred she left it on the table.  (Whoever says "Don't cry over spilled milk" doesn't realize how dang sticky it is! What a mess!!) 

Enjoying... Monday off for President's Day weekend.  Schooling the kids at home has me more pumped for days off than ever before. I am as excited (or moreso) than the kids!

Working out... 3x this week, per my promise to myself. I am so glad that I am doing this.  I feel amazing!

Going... to my sleep study consult.  We think that I may have sleep apnea, and my doctor recommended an oxygen meter to wear one night to see how I did.  Well, my oxygen dropped 47 times in one night. Not good.  So the next step is a sleep study and then go from there.

Still... having so much fun with our apple peeler/corer/slicer.  My mom bought it for us (it's Pioneer Woman) and my kids go ga-ga for it!! 

Attending... counseling on the 19th, via doctorondemand.com (I can't say enough good things about how simple, affordable and life changing this app has been for me!) and talking about how I am allowed to enjoy eating.  And also the terrible realization that life is both good and bad.  I know that sounds ridiculous, but I am a black & white thinker, so grey is tough for me.  Remembering, constantly, that life is a sliding scale, and both good and bad can exist at the same time, in the same place, even in the same person, is mind bending for me.  

Enduring... some really mean, negative self talk.  Along with my belief in things being black or white, good or bad, I also believe that I fall into the loser category when compared with winners who have their lives all together.  Giving others grace I can do, all day long... but when it comes to giving myself grace, or the benefit of the doubt, or reminding myself that I am doing my best, I suck.  
I've also been questioning my worth since I don't bring in a paycheck.  My counselor suggested I do some research on the benefits of being a stay-at-home parent, and also that I talk back to the negative voices that are trying to bring me down. 

Looking... ahead to summer (and afternoons spent in our pool!) and purchasing myself some new swimsuits as well as a new cover up.  I am so excited to see if I like my meet.curve suits.  I even ordered myself a two piece. I haven't worn one of those since before I was married! I'll be sure to keep you posted. 

Receiving... the sweetest (and cutest!) little Valentine's gift from my mom.  She got me a cat ring holder to go by my sink for when I need to take my rings off to cook or wash my hands.  The kitty's tail holds the ring, and I just think it is the sweetest! Thanks mom!

Taking... the kids outside to play in the snow one morning because snow is pretty, school is hard and you only live once, right?!  I shoveled our driveway while they played and let me tell you: Josh makes that look easy. Easy!! I came in (after what was a pretty halfass job, honestly) and was wet under my snow gear like I had showered in my clothes.  I was SO sweaty.  And I was sore for a week. Josh and the twins shovel snow like it's sweeping up dog hair. They're amazing and I am not worthy. Hah!
While we were outside Jack & Wyatt built one wall of an igloo; Logan made a snow cave (that he could actually fit in!) and Carly sat on the porch eating (hopefully fresh) snow.  Grady jumped around in the waist high snow like a fox, happiest I've ever seen him. It was a super fun morning. I'm grateful we seized the day. 

Thinking... about overthinking (ironic, right?) after listening to Anne Bogel's new book "Don't Overthink It" on Hoopla.  It offered lots of practical advice to limit the number of decisions you are forced to make everyday, and I have found it so helpful. I definitely was suffering decision fatigue, and Bogel's advice for that is to make as many routine decisions as you can, without thinking. For example, every night when I go to bed, I floss, brush my teeth, wash my face and take my medications.  It's not negotiable. I don't have to think about it, decide what steps I'm going to do. I just do all of those things, every night. That prevents overthinking. My mornings are less sure, so my goal is to get them a little more regimented.  Anyway, if you're an overthinker like me, I think you'd enjoy the audio version of Don't Overthink It. It's narrated by Bogel herself, and her voice is very soothing and encouraging.  

Letting... Carly paint as often as I can. She asks nearly daily, but I try to say yes regardless because I know that the art is good for her, and the mess isn't as bad as I think it will be. It's still hard, because it's still a pain to clean up afterward, but it keeps her entertained and she loves it. 

Happy... that Molly is all better after getting fixed last week.  She was pretty out of it for the better part of three days, and I made her sleep in our room to make sure Grady wasn't too rough with her (they play hard sometimes!) but she's back to her regular, healthy, crazy, kitty self. Thank goodness!

Raising... a little reader in Carly.  She wants to be just like mommy and just like brothers, which means at bedtime when normally I would turn off her light and leave, she's been begging me to let her turn on her bed lights (twinkle lights we wrapped around her daybed) and read like me & the boys. A couple nights a week I let her, and I usually walk in a half hour later to find her like you see above: passed out with her little pink glasses still perched on her nose, books and bubbas taking up most of the room on her bed, and the lights still on, making her look like a little angel. 

Enjoying... a Saturday afternoon to myself when my mom offered to take all four kids for a few hours. It was absolutely glorious and I did a whole lot of nothing at all.  I diamond dotted and watched Grey's Anatomy (what will I do when I reach the last season?!?) and just soaked in the peace & quiet. It was so lovely.

***

3 comments:

Ashley said...

So many things to say!
Love that little ring holder, what a sweet gift!

My husband has sleep apnea and after tweaking the CPAP machine just right, he felt like a completely different person! Hopefully they can get to the bottom of your issue and you can get some good sleep.

One more thing: I completely understand questioning your worth as a SAHM and sometimes fall into the same deep pit. It's one of the reasons I've been diving into the idea of "homemaker" this year - what does it mean, how can I learn to do this job well and be PROUD of myself, even if no one outside of these walls sees/acknowledges/appreciates anything I do. Just wanted you to know that I see you and am cheering you on. Don't believe the lies. You're doing great work! xoxo

Debbie Vandeberg said...

I have what they call Sleep Hypopnea. I don't stop breathing, but my breathing is so shallow that I don't achieve REM sleep. My sleep therapist explained that I'm more likely to fall asleep at the wheel while a person with apnea is more likely to have a heart attack. I use a CPAP machine and it makes a huge difference. Hopefully you'll get things figured out.

Unknown said...

Hi Shelly,
Have you looked into putting something down on the table and/or floor to make clean-up easier after Carly's Art Sessions?
Something like:
*rolls of art paper
*or those free newspaper-type classified ads, if your community still has those
*or a drop-cloth from the hardware store that you could reuse multiple times because it doesn't matter if paint or other art marks keep getting on it

I know you said the messes aren't too bad, so this is just an idea to throw out there in case it could be helpful at some point.
And somewhere online there may be other ideas to achieve the same thing -- I'm not sure, I've never looked.

~ Faith, Hope, Love, & Be Well! :)