8.13.2021

Around Here: Week 25 2021

 {June 13-19th}

















Josh's sister shared this photo with us:
Josh's dad Carl, and his grandparents Jay & Donna











{One  night Carly's hair was across her face and it reminded me of a spiders web}






Finishing... the school year for Josh, which feels great.  It's been a long, busy year for him with students online, then in person, plus a student teacher, and the loss of a teacher at his school.  We are all ready for a bit of a slow down. 

Wondering... what has Carly asking me lately where Santa is. I don't know why he's on her mind currently, but she has asked 3x this week where he is right now and what he's doing.

Listening... to Dear Sugar, which I loved. It is a beautiful listen, somehow both heavy and easy, and so much of her advice is applicable to everyone, everywhere.  The gentle way she speaks (she narrates her own audiobook) feels like a gentle hug from a friend. Highly recommend.  Five stars. 

Enjoying... a massage this week which I scheduled a hundred years ago in February. I am so glad that I got to have it, but the masseuse talked too much for my taste and I wish it had been a little more peaceful.

Celebrating... Wyatt's tenth birthday.  That sweet boy is ten, and I just love him.  He is funny and sarcastic, smart and cautious.  He is empathetic and tender hearted.  I am so grateful for his teacher this year, Mrs. Jackson, because she really saw Wyatt for who he is, and she adored him.  I felt so happy for him, during this tumultuous school year, to have another adult in his life who cherished him and found him as fun to be around and as entertaining as I do. 

Hosting... a pool party to celebrate Wyatt's birthday, and feeling so proud of all the flowers I had in the vases on the back patio table.  We grew all of those in our front yard.  Josh bought those and tended them and watered them and now they are giving back to us, and it makes me smile so hard.

Watching... in awe as we had a thunderstorm.  It produced so much rain (rare here) and some beautiful rainbows.  I can't get enough.

Finally... hitting Wyatt's last day and the twins' last day of school.  I swear to you, I have NEVER been more ready for summer than this year.  I wanted to be done teaching, guiding, helping and checking Google Classroom.  I was ready for sleeping in and saying yes, and having.a.break.  The kids feel the same way, and we are all headed into summer pumped for a break!

Reading... 100+ pages of Lost Friends, only to find out it was the wrong book, and I already read the right book (The Book of Lost Names) earlier in the year for this month's book club.  Hah! Let me tell you, as soon as my friend Becky mentioned I had the wrong book, I could not put it down fast enough.  It was just super slow and I wasn't really invested in any of the characters. 

Finding... a leak from Air Conditioner Condenser up in the attic that is bubbling down to the carpet outside Carly's room.  Josh went up and fixed the tray to address the leak, so fingers crossed it will resolve itself.

Walking... and wishing that I got out to walk more.  But for some reason, I'm in a bit of a body movement funk right now. Trying not to get down on myself too hard, but I am hoping that this changes. 

Praying... the dinner plate hibiscus we moved from our old house blooms this year. We have little shoots, which are amazing signs that it didn't die during the transition from our old house to this one, but I don't know if they will get big enough to blossom this year. 

Shopping... with my girlfriend at Marshall's and Ulta and having just the best time. I needed to get out of the house and laugh and shop and just be Shelly, not Mom. So fun.

Making... homemade popsicles with the popsicle maker that I found at Marshall's after the kids mentioned wanting one.  So we are trying all kinds of juice popsicles. So fun!

Ordering... myself a big, cozy sweatshirt from the Holderness family that says, "I am doing the best I can."  I am imagining myself wearing it at camping, knowing I made it through the school year, and it's bringing me massive joy.

Watching... documentary Jesus Camp (on Netflix) at my sister's encouraging after saying I wasn't sure how I felt about raising kids not in the church.  GOOD LORD. I feel better.  My kids are gonna be just fine. Even if Logan did write about the crusades in history saying they were "Spreading the gossip", not "spreading the gospel."  Everyone is fine. We're all fine.  The kids are fine. 

Enjoying... strawberries fresh from our garden!  It's so exciting to see these sweet little red jewels come in the house in Josh's hand each day as he checks the growth of all our plants. I like them, as does Carly, but I think Josh loves them the most. 

***




No comments: