1.20.2024

Around Here: Week 50 2023

 {December 10-16th}













































Reading... A Winter in New York and listening to Snowed In For Christmas. I'm also reading The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes to the boys at bedtime.  I'm reading Songbirds & Snakes on ebook, which is actually nice because then we can have the lights low while I read which the boys love. They almost always fall asleep while I'm reading. 

Watching... Leave The World Behind, which I enjoyed, but was a little weird.  To be honest, that combination is the same thing I would have said about the book, which I got from Book of the Month. 

Grateful... for everyone pitching in in the afternoons to get all the things done.  We strive to be screen free most afternoons and evenings.  The kids come home and have snacks and then at 4:00, by the time Carly and I are home, we put the boys' phones in the box and get to work on homework and hanging out.

Loving... Dashy's new bathrobe this year. Some of the Elf on the Shelf accessories are so darn cute!  They whole elf family sported sunglasses one morning this week, and gave Carly reindeer glasses to wear. So cute! Another morning we woke up to candy in our stockings from them. 

Worrying... about George who looked like he was having a seizure early one morning this week.  I did a little research and I think he's suffering from vestibular disease. Thankfully it's not fatal, but it's also incurable. Poor George.

Working... Monday in kindergarten. Gosh I love those kids and I am so excited that I get to student teach with this group in January.  Also this week I got to attend an intervention meeting and it was so cool to get to see more of the process. 

Sweetest... little kittens being adorable every morning. We love them so much!  My favorite is when they lay together, and Hadley's black tips on her ears. She looks like a little lynx!

Contemplating... parenting a lot this week as we are still dealing with repercussions of the revelations from two weeks ago with the boys.  This article (Am I a Bad Mother?) helped me feel better. "Frantically re-running the tape of my parenting failures was not only fruitless; it actively stopped me from functioning effectively during the next domestic mini-crisis," says author Rowan Davies.  She then offered advice from Samuel Beckett, "Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
My sister has also been a place of love, support and non-judgment. Her text, sent out of the blue, meant so much to me. So often as moms we have no idea if we're doing the right thing. So to hear her say she would turn to me for advice, and that following my gut won't lead me wrong, just meant the world. 

Noticing... Piper's pretty, dipped paws. She's so cute!

Thankful... for Wyatt's friend Kaeden, whose mom works at the middle school, taking Wyatt to lunch this week.  It was such a special treat for him, and he said it was so much fun. Lots of laughter. 

Enjoying... doing Carly's hair everyday. She's so gorgeous. 
Also enjoying whip cream on my coffee as a special treat. It's so yum!

Worrying... about how Carly is going to handle the transition from having a stay-at-home mom to having a working mom. I mean, not just Carly, the boys too, but Carly in particular.  I am also worried about how I am going to handle the transition. Yikes. I just keep telling myself, "One day at a time"... Just do today. 

Reading... "For a child there is no pillow quite as soft as a father's shoulder." Tiffany from @thegraygang shared it, and I loved it so much. Carly *adores* her dad and asks him for snuggles on the daily. I am so grateful she has him. 

Hosting... Carly's neighbor friend Ariyah on Saturday and feeling so grateful that Carly is making friends in our neighborhood. It makes me so happy that she can have them over to play.  She and Ariyah did each others' hair and it was so cute.  

Watching... as Josh and his brother and sister got together in our kitchen to make something called Rusty Klub's (potatoes boiled in ham water and made into a sort of dumpling) that are a Cunningham family tradition. I loved hearing them laugh and work together. So fun. 

Receiving... the most thoughtful gift in the mail from my friend Kristina.  She took the time to check my Goodreads and print off every books I read this year and make me one of the most amazing book ornaments. I absolutely love it and feel so overwhelmed with gratitude. It must have taken her forever!!

Running... errands with all four kids this week.  I honestly cant remember the last time I ran errands with all four of them in tow. It's hard, sure, but I also kind of love it. This crazy crew makes me nuts, but they also make me really proud. 

Laughing... at Carly holding a candy under the bathroom door, asking if she could have one, and then offering me one as well. Haha. Sure, Carly. (Have you tried these peppermint candies? They're my favorite Christmas time treat.)
Laughing again when Hadly stuck her paw under the bathroom door later. It was like she took notes on what Carly was doing. 

Painting... Carly's fingernails red & green for Christmas. They turned out so darn cute!!!


***



This is something I think about a lot.
I really want that credit! 

Using this thinking when it comes to student teaching and getting a job. 
I am choosing to do this, but it feels scary and overwhelming.
What if I HAD to do it, how would I handle it?
Strangely it makes me feel stronger. 

So fun to go back and read old blog posts!



Art by Robert B. Pettit


How amazing, hilarious and inappropriate is this Christmas snack?
Made me laugh out loud. 

Amen. Amen. Amen.
Love to all the mamas out there going through it.
You are NOT alone.

No comments: