1.21.2024

Around Here: Week 51 2023

 {December 17-23rd}









































Reading... The Book of Longings, which is already so, so good. 

Dealing... with Hadley also going into heat like her sister. Thankfully she's really snuggly so it makes up for her obnoxious moments. 

Shopping... for myself for Christmas at Ulta and feeling sticker shock at how much face makeup costs. Geez louise!

Getting... news that Carly's 1/2 split is being separated into a first grade classroom and a second grade classroom.  She's so sad to lose her first grade friends and nervous about some of the students that are joining her class. I am trying to remind her change can be good. 

Opening... my calendar from Lore Pemberton and feeling excited to have twelve pieces of her art at the end of the year. 

Texting... with the twins who had a fire alarm at the high school and were stuck standing in the field in the pouring down rain for thirty minutes one day this week. Jack was wearing socks & Birkenstocks, poor kid. He was soaked. 

Loving... how when the boys come home for lunch, they always come upstairs to see me. I swear to you that raising teenage boys is like having a crush.  When they pay me any attention my heart pitter patters and I have to tell myself to play it cool. 

Making... candy cane sleds for Dashy & his family, and loving how cute they turned out. I also loved the idea Josh had of pretending the dryer lint was cotton candy. Carly cracked up. 

Studying... science with Wyatt in preparation for a test that had him all stressed out. After we studied he felt much better and the test went great!

Taking... an hour long test and completing this week's big assignment for my class.  It feels so good to be done and officially on Christmas Break!!!

Doling... out consequences for continued behavior and feeling so very weary. Parenting is just never ending.  If you are also out there trying to be a good mom and they're trying your patience, please know you're not alone. I was so mad this time I had to put myself in timeout in my room before I completely lost my sh*t. 

Spending... my first day of break reading, shopping & blogging, and it was perfect!!!

Talking... Santa Clause with Carly who is not entirely sure she believes and feeling honestly ambivalent about whether she continues believing or not. I honestly will be relieved when she no longer believes because then the jig will be up and I won't have to be deceitful.  Also, I will be happy to get the credit the big guy always gets at Christmas time. 

Volunteering... to help in Carly's classroom while they decorated sugar cookies one afternoon. Carly was delighted to have me in there (heart melting) and her friends are just the sweetest. 

Attending... Student Teaching Orientation in the car while Jack drove me around to pick up and drop off all the kids.  Mom life just never quits. 

Enjoying... Wednesday, Thursday & Friday off of work with the kids, but Josh still had to work! Wahhh! We missed him!!

Celebrating... my mom's 66th birthday with a family party at her and my dad's house.  We ate delicious chinese food, opened gifts during a White Elephant gift exchange, ate cake (that Carly and I made, and which made it all the way to Wenatchee in the back of the car, but was accidentally tilted by one of my boys) and celebrated Christmas at the end since we won't see that side of the family again until after Christmas. We got to love on my sister's baby (Oh Sweet P, we love you!) and overall it was just a great day!

Wanting... to read all the books on my "I'm with the banned" pillow Josh got me for my birthday. It includes some of the most banned books in America. 
The list includes:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Kite Runner
Forever
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Bridge To Teribithia
Of Mice & Men
The Catcher In The Rye
The House On Mango Street
The Giver
The Bluest Eye
The Handmaid's Tale
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
And Tango Makes Three
The Color Purple
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
A Wrinkle In Time

***

My New Lore Pemberton calendar!!





This song always makes me cry.


Great reminder.


No comments: