2.03.2024

Around Here: Week 1 2024

 {December 31-January 6th}

Past words & phrases of the year





















Look how they spelled their names. Haha!
(Milo, Wyatt & Ferris)








Please notice her brothers are not on the 
"allowed to disturb" list...


Love this image for my
word of the year.



Letting... the twins go hang out at different friends' houses for New Years.  They've mostly been on lockdown over break, so they were thrilled to have some freedom back. 

Choosing... "Pause" as my word of the year for 2024. I am hoping it will help me stay present and also take a moment before responding when I'm frustrated with my children. 

Welcoming... Wyatt home from Wenatchee where he got to spend time with cousins and even went bowling. I am so glad he has them.

Keeping... Carly up until midnight as requested, but in the end, I think I should have put her to bed sooner as she hated the fireworks.  (Loud noises really do a number on our girl.)

Making... muddy buddies again since we can never get enough of them over the holidays. 

Watching... somewhat helplessly as George is suffering from vestibular disease.  It creates dizziness and makes him walk like he's drunk. He has also had two episodes of nystagmus, where his eyes go back and forth rapidly. It's awful to watch when he's like that, but we keep him safe and on the floor until he comes out of it. 

Figuring... out childcare for Carly for late start days, staff meeting days and early release days. It has been hanging over my head, stressing me out, so I am glad to be finally making some decisions and reaching out to different people. 

Taking... down Christmas. We often take it down the day after Christmas, but this year, I wasn't quite ready. So we did it on January 31st instead. We also cleaned the whole house, top to bottom, in preparation for heading back to school & work once break ended. 

Sending... the kids back to school on Wednesday and helping Carly work through some anxiety she was having about her class going from a 1/2 split to a full second grade class.  She's going to miss her first grade friends, and there are a few students joining her class that she hasn't had great interactions with, and she was very worried. I assured her that her teacher would keep her safe and that it would probably end up being better than she imagined. 

Starting... Traffic Safety for Logan. It feels like we just finished with Jack, and here we are again. Thankfully he's doing great driving, and class seems to be going well so far.  The only real bummer is that now the twins are fighting over who gets to drive any time we go anywhere. Logan thinks he should because he needs the practice and Jack thinks he should because he's the more practiced driver and he doesn't want to get rusty. Lord save me. 

Stressing... about the end of the the first semester and grades for the boys. We have about three weeks left, and some things aren't looking good.  

Meeting... with my student teaching mentor to go over the plan for my taking over her class (eeeek!) later this month. It is really getting real!

Back to... homework as classes resumed after Christmas break this week.  Oh those two weeks off were lovely, but I only have two weeks left, and then I am on to student teaching. 

Wondering... if you ever divulge information and then have regret as you think back? I may have overshared this week, and then afterwards I was questioning whether it was the right thing. Luckily I think I'm good, but I swear it was like I had a vulnerability hangover. 

Enjoying... having Josh home all week, as his Christmas break started after the kids. He was home and able to do most (if not all) of the driving before and after school which left me to hang at home with the kittens doing homework or reading. Lovely!!!

Grateful... for a pep talk from my sister when I started freaking out about suddenly going from being home full time to working full time during my student teaching. She reminded me that it's only the first time once, so after the first day, or each type of lesson I teach, it won't be the first time again! She also encouraged me to remember that I only have to take it one day at a time. 
Carly is struggling most with the idea of the change as I am her North Star and the idea of changing her morning routine and what she's known the last three years is hard. My sister was so validating, but also reminded me that if I'm okay, Carly will be okay. She'll take note of how I am reacting to the change. So positivity is the name of the game. 
Finally, I myself was laughing as I came up with a quote that could have been uttered by Yoda: In order to change, you have to change. Haha. By that I mean that I want to change- I want to teach and have something both to identify with as "mom" becomes less of my identity and to have something to pour myself into- but that changing means... changing. It means I have to tolerate the discomfort of new routines and unknowns. It's hard!!!

Visiting... kindergarten to get the last of my field experience hours for my class and feeling so grateful that the class I am going to student teach with is so amazing. Truly. They are all gems. 

Walking... outside around the block to try and get over feeling blah and anxious at the same time.  Fresh air, blue skies and the bird song always seems to help. 

Loving... Carly and Josh working together to build the new cat condo Josh ordered on Amazon. It was only $60 and it's so nice! Carly had a great time decorating it, and even vacuumed the hallway upstairs to make it nicer. I love her. I also love how patient Josh is with her. Such a good dad. 

Enjoying... the fact that Carly has friends in the neighborhood that she can have over to play. It makes her so happy and entertains her, which makes me happy (and free to do my homework in peace!)

Reading... The Echo of Old Books, which is a great book with so many quotable quotes. 

"But I've always wanted more for myself. I imagined a life that actually counted for something, left something worthy in its wake. I have no idea what form that life might have taken. Something to do with the arts, perhaps, or maybe a teacher, but now as Teddy's wife, I'll never know." 

"There was something deliciously old-fashioned about creating with pen and ink, like a direct line forged from head to hand."

"But I have learned this. In every wound, there is a gift.  Even the self-inflicted ones."

"Where is human nature so weak as in a bookstore?" -Henry Ward Beecher

"Except my mum, of course. She thinks I hung the moon. But it's her job to believe in me."

"I told you, I don't bother with politics."
"A luxury members of your class can afford, since their interests will always be protected. Meanwhile, there's a certain faction in this country- men who call themselves patriots- who are quietly working to undermine the very values they claim to stand for."

"The need to know was like an itch she couldn't reach."

"It's never stupid to be brave."

"Even with an ocean separating us, I could feel you, like the ache of a phantom limb."

And listening to The Moon of the Crusted Snow, which was like native village meets dystopian/end of times. It was so good. Reminded me of our village in Alaska and was such a good listen. 

Putting... Carly's cute fake nails on her that she got in her stocking for Christmas. She was so delighted. 

Loving... the new watch bands my mom bought me to go with the apple watch my sister and brother-in-law gifted me. He got a new one and said I could have his. So thoughtful! Anyway, now I am all set for student teaching.  My phone will (obviously) need to be on silent, but having the apple watch hooked to my phone will allow me to glance at incoming calls or texts to see if it's something urgent from the kids. Thanks mom & Roxanne!

Changing... the photos in the frames in my bedroom to fresh pics of the kids when they were babies. I'm not trying to torture myself (although it felt like it)... I just want to remember that I cherished their baby-ness and now I can embrace the stage we're in and look forward to a bright future, even if it's different and even if I'm feeling nostalgic for the good ol' days. 

Starting... the new year off right by walking everyday (either on the treadmill or outside), drinking plenty of water and doing something I enjoy (usually reading). What are you doing to make 2024 better?

***

Transitioning from SAHM to teacher
has been a lot of steps, and a lot of change...
but I still know it's the right thing to do.

I love following @ballerinafarms
Watching her welcome her newest baby
was magic.

Particularly my feet & lower back.
And my sides (of my legs & arms)
if they get poked. 



This completely sums up parenting.


I also just love following @thegraygang on IG
"Starting over doesn't make you a failure"
Yes, yes, yes!




1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

ah! The kitties holding stuffies - STHAP. so stinking cute!!
You are going to be such a great teacher and I am so excited for you, but I know this transition will be tricky for awhile. You got it girl! Proud to know you and how know how hard you worked to get here to this moment in your career! xxoxo