5.02.2009

CAST YOUR VOTE

For Logan & Jack's first birthday my mom and dad bought us a DNA test so we can determine the boys' twin type. Our boys are known as diamnionic/dichorionic twins, meaning they each had their own placenta & sack. Many people are misinformed about twins in general, but particularly with regard to twin type. I am here to set the record straight.

There are three basic types of twins:
1. Identical
2. Fraternal
3. Semi-identical

-Identical twins have identical DNA and form when ONE egg *spontaneously* splits in two. Identical twins occur randomly in nature. Family history has no impact on identical twinning.
Identical twins CAN have their own placenta & sack if they split within three days of fertilization.

-Fraternal twins occur when TWO eggs drop and are fertilized by different sperm. Fraternal twins are impacted by maternal family history only (and NOT paternal family history) Fraternal twinning is also influenced maternal age (the older you are, the more likely you are to drop two eggs at once, resulting in twins). Fraternal twinning is more common than identical twinning.

-Semi-identical twinning is a newly discovered phenomenon. Semi-identical twins occur when the mother drops an egg, it splits in TWO and is then fertilized by two separate sperm. The DNA they have from their mother is identical, but the DNA they have from their father is not.

The natural occurrence of twins is 1 in 89 births. In America, that statistic has skyrocketed to 1 in 33 births.

Now that your head is full to the brim with Twin Facts, I would like to take a poll. Do you think that Jack & Logan (pictured below) are identical or fraternal or semi-identical?

Daddy is voting FRATERNAL.
Mommy is voting IDENTICAL.

We plan to reveal the BIG RESULTS at their first birthday.
We shall see who is right- Mommy or Daddy
(Don't worry, I also plan to post the results right here, on my blog)

13 comments:

Julie said...

I vote fraternal.

Marilynn said...

I vote identical. And I think they are mirror twins.

Marilynn said...

Papa (Barry) votes fraternal.

Marilynn said...

Cousin Isaiah votes identical.

Andrea said...

Taylor & I vote fraternal. I am looking forward to hear the results in June! :)

Rox said...

Identical! And mirror would not surprise me!
But for now I'll leave my vote to identical. Because; I think if they were fraternal it would be amazing they could look at that much alike and that neither of them got you and Josh's green eyes!

I want to know what you and Josh voted!

Autumn said...

I cant decide which but its either fraternal or semi id. I think frats for sure since looks like mom and other looks like dad. :-)

Shelly Cunningham said...

Daddy (Josh) is voting FRATERNAL.
Mommy (Shelly) is voting IDENTICAL.
(Although I must admit that I vacillate daily between identical & fraternal.)
Five more weeks & we will see who is right- mommy or daddy!!!

Anonymous said...

Lisa M. votes fraternal.

Kari Durrant said...

I vote Identical.

Allison Elder said...

Fraternal

The Adelman Twins said...

identical! i also LOVE the pictures on the blog you posted with the orange shirts... you guys are such a happy family!

Aniko said...

I vote identical. I believed it from the beginning. I can't wait to find out.