11.24.2009

just something about boys

A friend of mine at work (love you Becky!) just found out she is having a baby boy. I think that a lot of women long for a daughter. I know that I did (and still do) want a daughter. But now that I have two sons (it is still crazy for me to write something like that. "I have two kids." "My two boys..." Crazy!)
Now that I have two sons I realize just how special the bond is between a mother & her son. The way I feel about my boys is somewhat indescribable. The tenderness that they show for me- hugs, kisses, interacting- melts me. I love chasing them, playing cars, stacking cups & reading books. I love seeing them with their daddy, seeing how much they long to be like him. And I love seeing them with their grandparents. I love that I feel they could conquer the world. That anything they long for, they can achieve.
My favorite time with my boys is night time. After pajamas I hold them, one at a time, and we dance & sing. Logan hugs me, with his tiny hands patting my back. He also kisses me, mouth open, eyes twinkling.
Jack likes to knock his forehead against mine (silly boy) and snuggle his bear into my neck while nuzzling it with his nose. These moments are the moments I have waited for all my life.
To have my boys love me so much that they want to dance with me, hug me, kiss me & even head-butt me (in that silly way Jack has) just makes me feel whole. And after they fall asleep and I creep in to say a prayer over them before I go to sleep, I will often pick them up and rock them. Holding their sweet sleeping bodies in my arms reminds me just how blessed I am. They always nuzzle right in to me, never waking or fighting it. Just melting against my body.
There's just something about boys that feels right.
God knew just what our family needed.
And this momma needed those two boys.

4 comments:

Julie said...

They stay sweet for awhile. The other day when we got our camera I was saying it's too smart for me. Ethan said, "I bet you'll figure it out fast. You're good with things like that." It's sad though, they'll get married and we'll lose them :(

Andrea said...

I love my son Gustav. We are hoping to have a daughter someday too. Our time will come. :)

Rebecca Jackson said...

So sweet and tender. Little boys truly are a gift from God!

Heather said...

I know how you feel. I have my daughters and still want have to have a son. It's weird to still have these feeling of wanting another baby because we have our hands full with the girls. I feel like we are missing one more person in our family. My husband and I talked about it and we are planning to try for one more baby (hopeful a son) in about a year. I hope you get to exprience having a daughter it is so wonderful!