9.30.2011

Book Review


I am currently reading a fantastic book. The 10 Habits of Happy Mothers by Meg Meeker. I got this book back in February when I was in a pretty low place. (Remember this? And this?) I have recently pulled it back off my bookshelf, and am finding it inspiring. I feel the joy seeping back into me.


Being a mom is exhausting.
And you are often both under appreciated and overworked.
Not a good combination.


The book walks you through ten steps to becoming a better, happier, mommy.  The steps (because I read them before I bought the book, too, so I could make sure I bought the premise) are:
  1. Understand Your Value as a Mother
  2. Maintain Key Relationships
  3. Value and Practice Faith
  4. Say No to Competition
  5. Create a Healthier Relationship with Money
  6. Make Time for Solitude
  7. Give and Get Love in Healthy Ways
  8. Find Ways to Live Simply
  9. Let Go of Fear
  10. Hope Is a Decision- So Make It!

I just finished chapter 8 today and will be doing a post for each new habit, the advice given in that chapter of the book, and how I plan to apply said advice to my own life.  I am clinging to this book, praying I can follow her advice and find myself enjoying parenting again. Because a few weeks ago, I was ready to throw in the towel. I was ready for someone to rescue me. This is the hardest job I have ever had.  And having my heart so involved makes it that much harder.

Well, I'm off to read another chapter & hope to start my "10 Habits" Series tomorrow.
Good night.

2 comments:

Barb Miller said...

Shelly, I love that you are continually seeking information about how to be a better mom. You are an awesome mom and are doing a great job with your boys, but still you want to do better. Reminder me of this quote:

“When you know better you do better.”
― Maya Angelou

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this book! I heard about it when it first came out and then forgot about it. I'm definitely feeling overworked and under-appreciated so this was perfect timing. I just ordered it and can't wait for it to arrive!