2.23.2012

c-section

 I've been obsessed a bit with Wyatt's birth lately. I imagine it's been on my mind because I have been working out. I hate to admit this, but I bought the Mama Wants Her Body Back workout videos (regular, Booty & Abs) and I've used them off & on for a few years. (Mostly off...) But since we moved here, I've started doing them.  Particularly the ab video.  It is super easy, ten minutes, and I can feel it working.

 Working on my abs, and feeling the muscles growing stronger near my cesarean scar (I say "scar" as opposed to "scars" because they cut me open in the same exact spot twice) has got me thinking of my whole birth experience with our newest addition.

 It was awful, to put it simply.  My pregnancy had not been idyllic.  Then to follow that with a 24+ hour labor to no avail and an eventual c-section after all that effort was really crappy.
At the time I was just happy to have the baby out, healthy.  I was grateful that the twins were cared for and I had Josh by my side. I was thankful for the four days we had in the hospital, just the three of us, a glimpse of the life we missed by bringing twins into the world on our first parenting go-round.

 But now I realize how much I missed. I missed out on birthing him.  I labored. Good lord, did I labor! But I didn't get to complete what I started.  But what really bothers me isn't that I had him taken out like the twins. What bothers me is how completely exhausted & out of it I was for his first 24 hours on the planet.  I missed out on his first bath- I kept falling asleep, literally in the middle of sentences- as well as memories of my parents being there, holding him.  I don't remember any of it...

 I was swollen for days from all the liquids they were pumping me full of in an effort to get labor going.  And I remember distinctly how heavy my eyes felt. Particularly when they first pulled him out. Josh was sitting somewhat behind my head, and I told him, "I want to open my eyes and look at him, but I just can't."
Then while we were in recovery I physically couldn't open them.  I was so completely sleep deprived, all I could do was lay there while Josh held our little boy.
---
We've been talking that Wyatt will likely be the last little Cunningham for us, and while no firm decisions have been made, I am feeling good about that.  I am okay with not being pregnant again. I am okay with not recovering from another c-section.  I am okay with having three little boys & a husband who loves me.  I am lucky to have them.
---
And even though my birth experience with Wyatt was not all that positive, the goal of a healthy baby being born was accomplished, and I am trying my hardest to enjoy everyday with him now....

3 comments:

Rox said...

Oh, sister I feel you. I was exhausted when Ferris was born, I felt too weak to hold him and had a hard time keeping my eyes open for very long! Thank God for our husbands!
Everyone says, "it's all about a healthy baby"... but it's perfectly fine to grieve the loss of your ideal delivery. It mattered to you, and it didn't go as planned. It's good to work through it, in the end I think it will lead to acceptance.
I wish so badly that your L&D would've been easier, but I am PROUD of you for giving it your ALL and going so long unmedicated.
I love that baby boy of yours and I can see that your bond is strong, whether you studied his face and counted his fingers an hour after he was born or a day after, he knows you and you know him as only his mother could.
(And you ROCKED at nursing, which is HARD!)
I hope with a little more time you feel at peace about it. Love to you.

Kori said...

I don't think I could say it better than Roxanne.
But, I wanted to add though that I was also very exhausted after having Bentley. For different reasons, (since mine was more because of losing so much blood and severe anemia)...it was a really rough first week and then took me weeks to recover. I feel ya.

You had dreams and hopes and suddenly they are gone, so I think it's important to grieve the loss of our ideas/thoughts/dreams etc. It may feel silly but it's important to brain health. ;) If that makes sense.

Hugs Shelly.

Kristina said...

Girl...I am right there with you! I too had 2 c-sections and tried my very best to have a VBAC with Isaac. However, it just didn't work out. I understand how you feel though. I feel that c-section moms always have a missing part of the birthing process. And no one understands except other moms who have never given birth vaginally.

I envy that you got to feel some labor pains though! Hold onto that! Even though you didn't get to finish it the way it started, be thankful for getting to have any part of the birthing process. It is something that I still mourn...the fact that I was pregnant but never got to experience any of those final stages is quite the bummer.

But, in the end we both ended up with our beautiful baby boys and that is such a blessing. We are blessed girls! :o)