2.14.2012

lessons in love

{2003}
 After being married eight years and spending the last five months apart, I think we have a pretty good idea of how to make this whole relationship work, regardless of the circumstances.  These are the lessons I have to share on this, the day of love.

{2003}

1. Be quick to forgive.  Let the little pinches go. (Also know when to shut up.)

{2001}
 2. Have some focused couple time every few weeks. 

{2002}
 3. Laugh together, enjoy parenting (or whatever you do together) and keep it light.

{2008}
 4. State your needs blatantly. "I need a backrub." "I'd like you to do the dishes." "I want diamonds for that anniversary you are going to miss while you're in Alaska." It helps to do so with some manners, too, like please & thank you.

{2011}
 5. Make your partner's life easier.  I love when Josh gets up with the boys, or throws in a load of laundry.  He loves when I take out the garbage or make him dinner.
{2010}
  I am so grateful to be together with Josh again. To have him here, making me laugh, simplifying my life. After being apart, I really appreciate what he adds to my life, and find that I am more able to let go of the little things. (ie. socks on the floor...)

{2011}
We have been through some ups & downs in our marriage.  Health issues, car accidents, graduations, periods of unemployment, pregnancies, job changes, births... And through it all, Josh has been by my side.  That's all that really matters.  When I sit down to write that book people keep telling me to write, the running theme will be "together".  "Together" we made it through Josh's car accident. "Together" we made it through the twin pregnancy. "Together" we made the decision to move our family to rural Alaska.  
"Together" is how we spent our days.
---
Wishing you a day "together" with your loved ones, whoever they may be.  And if you are apart on this lovely holiday, may your reunion be full of smiles, tears & joy that you are "together" again.

2 comments:

Barb Miller said...

love-ly post!

Aniko said...

I love you Shelly, you write such beautiful, profound, thoughtful, things. May your life with Josh and the boys be blessed.