3.06.2012

This Mom's Life

I stole these questions from this months' issue of Good Housekeeping.  
Enjoy!
~
What are three words that describe you as a mom?
empathetic
consistent
capable

Your favorite family rituals?
Bedtime.  
Baths, lotion, jammies, stories, songs, snuggles & lights out.

What's on your nightstand?
My journal
Women, Food & God by Geneen Roth
The True & Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson
My prayer journal
Two good pens
A photograph of Josh on our honeymoon
A Kleenex box
& a basket with lotion, Vanilla lipsmackers chapstick, hair bands and the like inside it.

Is there a parenting rule you never break?
Manners. The boys have to use their manners.

And one you always break?
No means no.  
Sometimes, if they ask nicely, it can mean yes.

Is there a beauty product you can't live without?
Lubriderm.  I use it everyday on my entire body. I swear by it.

What five things are always in your fridge?
Ketchup, {powdered} milk, water bottles for everyone in the family, cheese & pickles.


Your most memorable family vacation?
Oregon's Wildlife Safari Summer 2011.  Wyatt was six weeks old.  The twins loved feeding the giraffes and also swimming in the pool at the hotel.

What's been your hardest parenting moment so far?
The day I came home from the hospital after having Wyatt and the twins completely melted down/lost it when they saw me.  They cried, curled up in my lap, in the fetal position, for twenty-five minutes straight.  I had missed them so much.  It was the first time I felt torn between all three children each needing a piece of me.

Do you have a favorite book in your house right now?
Thomas the Tank Engine.  It's a HUGE book that has multiple stories. I hate reading it let Josh read it to them because they love it. ;)

Your biggest guilty pleasure?
Watching a movie during nap time.  I sit in Josh's easy chair, journal in my lap, pen in my hand, and just unplug my brain for a while.  It feels so good.
That, and baths.  I love a good bath.

What's been the most surprising thing about parenthood?
That it's true what they say, your love multiplies.  I didn't know how I would possibly love Wyatt as much as I loved Logan & Jack.  But I do.  And the love is distinct for each of them- I love all of the boys in a way that is unique from the love I feel for their brothers.

5 comments:

Rox said...

What a fun post, I like looking at the older pictures. I'm going to copy this one from you! Big hugs to you!

Rox said...

PS The picture of you and baby Jack (in railroad overalls) is the one I took with me to get my (your) eye tattoo :)

Jana said...

Your posts are so passionate, real, and usually bring me to tears. Your family is blessed to have you and I know you feel blessed to have them!

Barb Miller said...

Great post, Shelly!

Krystle said...

I did this on my blog today, and I linked back to your blog! :)