11.11.2012

Sunday in the kitchen

Sunday I slept in, as usual, and it was divine, as usual.  
Then when I woke up, I got started on my bread in the kitchen.

This week I made five loaves, and stored them all in my freezer.  We were completely out, so it feels really good to have it stocked up again.

In addition to five loaves of bread, I made homemade tortillas again.  This batch made 26, and they are delish!

And the last thing I made today was pretzels.  This was my first try at pretzels, and let's just say I do not have a future at Auntie Anne's in the mall.  Despite their funky appearance, though, they tasted really good once I coated them with butter and sprinkled on some cinnamon and sugar. Yum!
(Next time I will make them skinnier, and in stick form, not pretzel form!)

And Josh was busy in the kitchen as well.  Just after he got out of the shower, there was a knock on the door from our neighbor Howie asking if I wanted to try cooking so fish.

I said sure and he said to send Josh out to choose.  So Josh came back bearing this white fish, whose name Howie only knew in Yupik, covered in blood.

We set it in the sink to rinse it off.

And of course the boys looked on.

Josh worked on butchering it with our less than stellar knives, and in the end had to borrow some sharper knives from our neighbors.

First he cut off the head, and then the tail.

The boys, mesmerized, said, "Gross!"

And "Eww!" And then Logan asked, "Are we having fish for dinner?"

Haha! No, Logan, not tonight. I need a few days between the smell of fish guts on my table and a delicious fresh-from-the-Yukon-fish dinner!

2 comments:

Marilynn Raatz said...

Oh Logan's face is funny! I prefer not to see the cleaning, just the finished product. Your bread looks wonderful!! I can just imagine how good it tastes!

Justinand said...

What a huge range of food pics... From amazing looking bread to my least favorite part of fresh fish! I bet the finished product will be amazing though!! Love peeking in on your Alaskan adventure-life!!