12.03.2013

Poison Control

I was going to blog about my new book today, 
but something more pressing came up. 

I was emailing Julie (my sister-in-law and BFF) on the couch with my laptop when Logan came over with both hands pressed against his mouth and told me he had drank soda.  I argued with him, telling him there was no soda on the table.  He was insistent, telling me he had licked it off the table.

I got up and followed him into the kitchen and that's when I saw it.  There on the table was one of their toy dinosaurs, which he had opened with my kitchen screwdriver, and leaking out of its battery was a bluish liquid that had dribbled onto the table.  He told me he had drug his finger through the liquid and then licked it off his finger.  And that his mouth was burning.

I grabbed my cell phone off the kitchen table, scrolling my contacts for Poison Control, while guiding him into the bathroom to rinse his mouth out with water.  While he was spitting, Poison Control answered my call and assured me that while his mouth likely tasted pretty bad, no harm would come of it.  

I was so grateful I had their number already saved in my phone, and every time I've called (and I've called more times than I'd like to count) I am so grateful for the peace of mind they give me.

So Logan's lips hurt, and his fingertip, but he's really no worse for wear otherwise.  But I thought I'd share Poison Control's number with the masses so that if you find yourself in a similar situation, you, too, can be given peace of mind.

POISON CONTROL:
1-800-222-1222


Logan confided in me, after I explained that what he had consumed was battery juice, that while trying to get the AA's out of his dinosaur that he had whacked at them pretty aggressively with the screwdriver.  So it was him who "popped" the battery, causing the fluid to leak out. I talked with both he and Jack, making them promise not to touch batteries (or screwdrivers!) without first talking to mommy to make sure it was okay.

Whew.
What a way to get my blood pumping this morning!

2 comments:

allie. said...

so scary! glad he's ok and thanks for sharing the number. i didn't even think about saving that one in my phone!

Marilynn Raatz said...

Logan cracks me up - it probably did feel like soda on his tongue. I am so relieved that it was all fine. Good job Shelly! Another badge for you on your mom sash!!