12.02.2013

Weekend Update + What Makes Me Happy


Weekend Update





 Friday

After a lovely Thanksgiving, Josh let me sleep in Friday morning.  When I woke up he was making bread & tortillas. During nap time I got to watch some episodes of Parenthood (my favorite!) and in the afternoon Josh took the twins sledding.  They were so happy to get outside.  When they came in, all rosy cheeked, I made them hot cocoa (with whip cream, of course) and once they were warmed up we decorated for Christmas. All three boys were so excited to help decorate our little Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and we had a great time.

Once the boys were down for the night we had Leah over for pizza and a movie. We watched Pitch Perfect, which was cute & funny.  It was great to hang out with Leah and laugh.


Saturday

I woke up with the boys Saturday and started laundry.  I cleaned the house and changed our sheets.  I also started a list of 1,000 gratitudes or gifts.  But more on that later.

Saturday evening we had family movie night with Turbo + cheese pizza + fudge for the boys.  Then I had Girls Night with Leah.  We hung out until after midnight talking.  It made me so happy.  Love that girl.

{The Advent Josh's sister made for Logan, Jack & Wyatt}

Sunday

Yesterday I slept in again.  I got to read in bed, which was luxurious, and watch the sun rise over the mountain.  It was breath taking.

I spent the day wrapping Advent Calendar gifts for the boys and preparing for the week ahead.  We will be making countdown chains for Christmas and writing letters to santa this week.  I can't wait!

What Makes Me Happy


God working in my life
I got a care package last week, and literally every single thing in it was something I needed or wanted.  There were popsicle sticks, which I had been wishing I had for crafts with the boys; two kinds of holiday m&m's; bath time alphabet sponges that Wyatt loves; beef jerky for Josh (his favorite); shelf creamer for me for my coffee that can sit in the pantry until I open it (!!!); and the cereal that comes in little boxes which my kids adore.

But the best part of the care package was the book she included.  One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  I literally looked at buying it on Amazon last week, but didn't. I know that with the holidays coming, I am going to have a tight budget this month, so I decided not to get it.  I started reading it the day I got it, and I can't put it down.  I will probably do an entire post on it this week, but suffice to say, it is speaking to me, and I know God had a hand in getting it from Kasey in New York to me in Alaska.

Talking to my nephew Ferris on the phone

Twinkle Lights

Our sense of community
Both at Thanksgiving and upon hearing of the crash in St. Mary's, I found myself grateful we are all in this together.

Samantha's leftover potato salad
It is oh-so-good.

Being anxiety free

Christmas Card preparation
I love the holiday season, especially sending out my yearly cards!

~

"Thanks makes now a sanctuary.  
And I take my vows: 
I will not desecrate this moment with 
ignorant hurry or sordid ingratitude."
-Ann Voskamp

This week I want to slow down & be grateful.

***

3 comments:

Amanda said...

My 4th grade son wanted to know if they still have recess on very cold days? Do they have a cut off temp.?

Kasey said...

That got to you really fast! I want to make an advent calendar like yours. Maybe next year.

Rox said...

These pictures make me happy. You're so beautiful! I know this is a happy time of year for you, and I think it's great that you're making it special for the whole family.