1.03.2014

Change of Plans

 So yesterday morning everything, all my plans, got thrown in the air, tossed around like a tornado and then slowly the dust settled and now things look good again.  But in the moment-- it was stressful!

My mom had planned to fly standby to Anchorage, and as the date approached, things booked up to the point where her friend at the airlines told her there was nothing.  Everything was overbooked.  She called yesterday morning to break the news to me, and I went into a frenzy.

First I thought, Okay, I can do this. I can go to Anchorage alone. But then I remembered how I have been feeling lately and realized that wasn't the greatest idea.  So Josh and I went to work, talking first with his parents, then with his sister (my best friend) Julie and before we knew it, we had a flight booked for her to meet me in Anchorage tonight.

As I type this, we are currently on a weather hold, so no planes are flying from Bethel, which means I am still in Marshall. But I am hopeful that something will clear up this afternoon so I can get to Bethel and make my late evening flight to Anchorage.

Yesterday and this morning were really hard. I was sad. Very sad.  Hating the idea of leaving the boys, and feeling guilty for going.

But this afternoon I am better.  I feel excited for my trip, anxious to spend time with Julie, and relieved at the idea of having a doctor and counselor here in Alaska.

 I spent all of yesterday packing, writing on my to do list, and hugging my boys. They would walk by and I was reach out, grab them, and squish them up!  I wrote them love notes for Josh to give them while I'm gone, and printed photos of me with them to put on their picture boards.

 After watching movies on my bed as I packed, we fed the boys chicken nuggets & pizza pockets, which brought them such joy, and then we did bedtime.  We read stories, snuggled & prayed and once those boys were asleep, Josh made us a pizza and we enjoyed some time together.
***
I hope I can hop on a plane this afternoon and meet Julie as planned this evening. But all of that is out of my control, so I am just trusting God to make it happen like it's supposed to!

3 comments:

Marilynn Raatz said...

Shelly I love your love notes so much! Always have always will. Such lucky little boys you have. I love you and am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love reading your blog and about your gorgeous little boys. Just wanted to say hello from Hampshire in the UK

Anonymous said...

Praying you and Julie have a really great time. Sorry it didn't work out for your mom but what a great blessing your sister in law can make it. :)

Sophie