2.28.2014

The House

I have wanted to share some pictures of our house for a while now.  
I finally got around to taking pictures, so here it is!
This is our bedroom, in the mid morning sunlight.

I love my bedside table, with my basket of goodies (lotion, pens, chapstick...) and my frames filled with photos of me & my kids.  

I also love my bookshelf. Full of books I've read, photo albums, empty journals and books I've yet to read.

The bottom two shelves are children's books for the boys,
and I also have a special shelf for my jewelry box.

I have loved having a couch in our bedroom.  
We read to the boys on it at night sometimes, and it makes a cozy spot for them to read when I'm laying Wyatt down for his afternoon nap. (One brother reads in the playroom, the other upstairs in our room.)

This is the view out my window.  The mountain just past the tundra, sun rising... It's gorgeous.
At night, when the stars & moon are out, it's even better!

On our dresser we have a few knick knacks and our ever-important humidifier. We would be lost without that thing here.  We fill it to the top every night, and by morning it's empty.

I recently hung this necklace hanger that my grandma got me when I was a little girl. I love it.  
Above that is our Senior Homecoming Picture from October 2000.

April 11th marks 14 years since we started dating...
Some mornings I stand in front of that picture, staring at those youthful faces,
and I just can't believe it's been that long already!

In addition to showing you my (recently cleaned) bedroom, I wanted to show you my linen closet.  

Upstairs in the hallway we have a really good sized linen closet, and I put my organizational skills to the test stocking it with everything we could need in rural Alaska.

On the back of the door I used a shoe rack to store personal care items.
Here we have:
Baby oil, my inhaler, mousse & extra facewash,

Rubbing alcohol, lots of mini lotion, and two nets full of shaving cream,

Deodorant, a variety of chapsticks, my ProActiv, Josh's Rx,

Extra toothbrushes, hairspray, even more ProActiv, and Josh's deodorant with my razors,

Cream, shampoo & conditioner, coconut shampoo, hair gel for Josh,

Lint rollers, more shampoo & conditioner, & some Herbal Essences.

In addition to the back of the door, I also extended my organizational skills to the shelving.
Here we have Kleenex, and a bag of all our travel-size toiletries.

Stacks of Dove soap purchased on Amazon,

Qtips purchased while home in Washington this summer,

Towels for the kids' bathroom which is downstairs,

Medication for any and all ailments we could possibly catch.
We have a veritable drugstore-- tylenol, maalox, cough drops... 
You name it, we got it!

On the third shelf I have all my Bath & Body products lined up.
Body scrub, hand soap, bottles of lotion...

As well as towels for our bathroom, which is directly across the hall from the linen closet,
and a scale.


On the upper shelf I have an iron (which has never been used in all our time here), my sewing kit, and my heating pad as well as some of the flax-seed heat-packs I own.

On the tippy top shelf I have water proofing (for boots & such) and a shoe shine kit that I use for my Dansko's. 

On the floor you can see we have a cow humidifier (from when Wyatt slept in the playroom), Wyatt's old bath seat (which he has outgrown) and an extra sleeping bag for Josh to use when he has to travel & stay in other villages'.

*
I am very proud of the fact that we rarely run out of anything.  I consider it my responsibility to make sure we have plenty of everything on hand, and I take my job very seriously!

I posted this mostly because I love seeing what other people's houses look like (particularly how they are organized)-- I'm a bit of a voyeur that way-- and I thought if I shared mine, maybe you all would share yours!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now, and I have to say I loved this post! I enjoy looking at other people's homes, too, and since I'll be moving up to teach in LYSD in August, it helps to get an idea of how to organize things!

Olivia said...

You put our organization / supply stocks to shame! With planes only twice a week, and usually only one with mail, it's been challenging for sure! Somehow we've managed to never run out of anything crucial, though I did have to borrow dish soap once until an Amazon order arrived.

Cindy said...

LOVE the couch in your bedroom. Would love to have one in ours but no room. Our house is over 100 years old. Due to the way everything is laid out (floor plan, windows, etc.) our bedroom has been the same way for about 30 years. Our living room and our front room (at one time probably a parlor) also have to stay the same. Some pieces of furniture have come & gone and I recently fell in love with a small oak rolltop desk that I found at a resale store. It doesn't fit perfectly but I love it. It also matches perfectly the old rocking chair we bought when we had our first son 31 years ago.
I have to say, too, that watching your boys on their bikes, it looks like they are ready to move up by summer to the next size. :)

Crazy About Ukraine said...

Long(ish)-time reader, first-time commenter :) I just wanted to say that you have a lovely home! Now I'm craving a Bath-&-Bodyworks shopping trip after seeing your stash : )

Christina said...

I would be very curious to see how you organize your big food orders. I live in Brooklyn so my life could not be more different from yours but I would be interested to see how much you buy in bulk and how you store it!! Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your Alaska life - it is fascinating!