5.04.2014

The Happiness Project :: PARENTHOOD :: May








Gretchen's goal during her Parenthood focused month was to have a peaceful, cheerful atmosphere at home.  The best quote from this chapter of her book is, "The days are long, but the years are short," which is all too true.

One of her big goals was to acknowledge feelings in her children.  To allow anger, irritation, fear, reluctance and to accept the other person (child)'s point of view.  I like the spirit behind that.

 My parenting goals are many, and I imagine I will be weeding these down as the month passes, but I am going to record them all here for now:

1) Talk sweet 
-"act how I want to feel"
     -practice compassion
     -be their "soft place to land"

2) No swearing
     -Take a break if I need to

3) No yelling
     -Resist responding while triggered

4) Admit mistakes//apologize//try again
     -allow myself to change my mind
     -be the example
     -love myself first

5) Be happy
-no complaining
-tickle
-have dance parties
-enjoy snuggles & hugs

6)  Be a Memory Keeper
-Print my blog
-Catch up boys' memory books
-Take time to video the kids' 
(interview them) regularly
-Create one new family tradition for each holiday this year

7) Say "YES!"
     -go outside
     -read a book
     -play a game
     -bake something

8) Build consistent chores into our routine
-making beds
-clearing the table
-doing laundry
-cleaning house

& finally...

9) Linger longer
-don't rush

***

We are already a few days in, and I will tell you I have failed miserably.  But I am trying. And that's all I can do. Everyday I wake up and think, "fresh start" and try again.  Yesterday was better and today's been better than that.  But Thursday and Friday I think I broke nearly all my resolutions!

I am excited for this week, though, as we are participating in Screen Free Week Monday through Friday.  For us this means there will be no TV, movies, tablets, phones or video games during the boys' waking hours*.  (*that's my caveat: if they're asleep, I can blog, read emails or watch TV as much as I want!)

I made a list (after being inspired by friend Tabitha) of activities we can do instead of watching TV or playing tablets and it has gotten me really excited for a week of play with my boys.  I then spent the weekend preparing: doing laundry, crossing things off my to do list, and writing blog posts ahead of time.  

I will keep you posted on how my Parenthood Month is going.  And I also promise to report back on how crazy, insane, awful, FUN Screen Free Week is!  With these crazy kids, I'm sure it will be anything but boring!



 "To be in your children's memories tomorrow,
you have to be in their life today."
-Barbara Johnson

*

No comments: