7.14.2017

Around Here: Week 28








She's not sad... She's just tying really hard to make different animal sounds












Receiving... a Kindle Paperwhite as a gift from a friend, and I can already tell it's going to change my reading LIFE!  I can read in bed without bothering Josh; I can read while I'm nursing without distracting Carly; and I can read outside in the direct sunlight without straining my eyes. It's so exciting!

Celebrating... that Josh was born July 13th all those years ago.  He's the best thing that's ever happened in my life, and I'm so grateful for him.

Reading... Bold Spirit by Linda Lawrence Hunt and Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst.  Bold Spirit is the (almost) lost story of Helga Estby, who walked across America from Washington State to save her family farm.  I am only a few chapters in, but it had me at "pioneer" and I am loving it.

Made to Crave is about how to turn to God instead of food for comfort.  Thus far I have been working on watching when I want to eat (mostly I turn to food as a reward for adulting & parenting, hah!) and trying to make healthier choices for meal times.
I definitely use food as a means of dealing with tough emotions, although I am trying very hard to let the sadness/anger/disappointment come, wash over me, and go, instead of numbing with food.  I am also rediscovering old hobbies (like card making & letter writing) in hopes that those can fill the space of the bored eating I often do in the afternoons or evenings.

Following... Allison Kimmey on instagram. Seriously. You have to check her out. She is an average size American girl, loving her body and not apologizing for her size or the space she takes up in this world.  My favorite part of her message is "People HAVE fat, they are NOT fat," which is something I have shared with my kids.

Rereading... One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and The Island by Elin Hildebrand.  One Thousand Gifts is such a beautiful reminder of who God is and all the gifts He's blessed us with; and The Island is such a fun, relaxing summer read. They are both perfectly hitting the spot.

Listening to... Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner, which is absolutely fascinating.  I would recommend this for anyone who is fascinated by people and why we do what we do.

Watching... Passengers, which was good, but I felt like it should have been a mini series as I would have loved a little more backstory and more about life after the couple woke up.
Hidden Figures, which was very moving and reminded me of Bold Spirit in that it covered a story that had been buried in history.
Table 19, which was a cute love story wrapped up in a romantic comedy.

Getting... dental work done. I am really proud of myself cause I had an awful experience getting my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, and since then, dental work has been really off putting.  But I knew it would be easier to get it done this summer, while Josh is available to watch the kids, so I went for it.

Fighting... fevers & sickness with Carly and Logan.  Thankfully everyone seems to be on the mend again, but there were definitely some sleepless nights and worry-filled days.

Going... to the science show at our local library.  Since then, Wyatt is dying to do all the experiments: poking pencils through a baggie full of water; adding baking soda to some vinegar inside a sealed plastic bag (leading to a nice little KABOOM!) and making our own elephant toothpaste, which we haven't tried yet.

Laughing... at Carly trying to make animals noises.  The donkey's "Eee Aww" and a goose's "Honk Honk" proved most difficult, and most hilarious.

Spending... oodles of time at the pool, enjoying this hot weather and all this free time we have together before work training starts for Josh in August.  It's been the best summer and I'm so grateful to have spent so much of it together in the sunshine.

***

1 comment:

Holly said...

I love my paperwhite SO much. Somebody who reads as much as you do totally needs one! I had never heard of the Made to Crave book - that sounds so interesting. I definitely tend to turn to food in stressful times too.